s i x

Chapter Six

Missy

      I kept myself perched on the Kymari's back. We've been like this for hours, and I hadn't moved. I refused to. I had made myself comfortable and was now absentmindedly chewing on the male Kymari's long black hair. His skin was also very warm, so that was another plus.

      "What to do with pretty you," I mused into the Kymari's mind. He had relaxed also and was now lying quietly on the ground, his hands still held out in a display of surrender. I was quite impressed with his patience, but I knew that Kymari were known for their seemingly endless amount of patience.

       Kate chirped at me nervously. Since the Kymari showed up, Kate had been scared to death. She knew that Kymari weren't sadistic and knew that they didn't harm animals for fun, but she was still traumatized by our time in the facility. We both were.

      The Kymari wasn't the least irritated with me chewing on his hair or getting comfortable on his back.

      "As I stated before. Fire lizards are extremely important. Just last year, we discovered that fire lizards were great at scenting sicora. We also discovered that your saliva is deathly toxic to sicora. Last year, a law was passed. It is illegal to capture or harm a fire lizard. Anyone who breaks this law will be severely punished and could even face death. With the population so low, we don't want to risk any harm coming to you all. I promise I would never do anything to harm the both of you."

      His words rang true, I could tell by his steady heartbeat. I was stuck. I believed him, but another very stubborn part of me did not want to trust any other intelligent race. The humans took away my body and locked me inside of a cage. I wasn't ready to risk being trapped again.

      Sighing, I crawled off of the Kymari's back and he sat up, stretching out his stiff muscles. He smiled at me, and I just narrowed my eyes.

      "I believe you, but Kate and I are going to need some time to discuss this. In the meantime, I guess you can have some crayfish."

-*-*-

      Kate's amused chirp pierced the air.

      "I can't believe you were held hostage by a lizard!"

      The Kymari's face flushed in embarrassment as he peeled off the shell on his crayfish. I held my head high, feeling smug.

      "My claws are sharp and my flame is very hot. He was smart to obey me."

      The Kymari smiled softly.

      "I didn't want to appear threatening."

      I hummed as I hovered over the pot, picking out another nice sized crayfish. I quickly disposed of its shell and threw the remains into the forest. I hummed in appreciation as I popped the small chunk of meat into my mouth. I gazed at the Kymari. I was completely calm around him. Of course, I was ready to attack if he showed any hostility, but other than that, he was fine by me. Kate was completely at ease, even joking around with him.

      Truthfully, I was probably putting a little too much trust into the man, whose name I learned was Victor, but I had a feeling he truly meant no harm. Kymari were extremely strong. Although Kate and I had sharp claws and our flame, he could still overpower us. He was suited up in armor and had the usual weapons Kymari had. If he truly wanted to hurt us, he very well could.

      A beeping noise sounded on the Kymari's wrist. He wiped his fingers on his handkerchief before tapping on the device on his wrist. I flew over and landed on his leg, curiously looking at the odd device.