Chapter 17 - Dear, You...

I had a real question right now - why isn't he an FBI yet?

The file; or should I say, program, was a tracking and recording program.

The moment I opened it, there's already a red dot; surprisingly, on the exact place as the third dot on the desktop map. I clicked at the recording option and one was active. 'Live'. I dug for my earpiece. Putting it on.

Smack.

The hit and punch noises made my blood ran cold.

Someone hissed out of pain.

"How dare you." A familiar voice was heard from distance.

My eyes went wide. Ed...

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" He spit those words while stepping closer.

The one who wore the mic - most likely Zack - tried hard to control his breathing, holding the pain. There was a moment of silence once the steps stopped. Then I heard him laughed weakly.

Ed was probably so close to him as I heard his voice very clearly, "When the clock strikes to 12, it's over for you. Lyn will think I'd saved her secret from being spread. She'll believe me instead of you." The last sentence was uttered with a smirk, I could tell.

"She isn't as stupid as you think she is..." Zack said, forcing his voice out. "She will know, and you will be over too, Edward."

Not even two seconds passed before I heard the punching sound again. Zack groaned out of pain. I heard some chains sounds sweeping the ground along with his movement.

This is too much. My tears threatened to come out. I covered my mouth from sobbing.

There were steps again walking away from the mic and the door was slammed shut.

I hurriedly searched for the connect button. I wanna talk to him. I wanted to be there for him damnit. Unfortunately, there was none. It's a one-way microphone. My hands were in grip, holding all the emotions inside.

"Zack." I whispered as the tears started to flow. "I'm sorry... I'm so, sorry..." I knew he couldn't hear me but I still wished he would.

There was only a small sigh from the other side as I continued crying silently.

It took me half an hour, if not the whole hour, to get myself together. There wasn't a single sound from the microphone anymore, only a stable breathing. He's probably already asleep.

I restored down the program's window and stared at the desktop map.

What should I do?

I wanted to save him, but then what? Letting Ed hunted us down for life? I leaned back at my chair with my head doing its best to find a way. My finger exploring my laptop. I just clicked whatever until I was at documents folder. There, my eyes caught something weird. The view was different. I automatically focused on the screen and skimmed the files one by one. Then I detected one unfamiliar document. A Microsoft word document, titled with random letters and numbers.

I clicked on it. A blue window popped up filling the screen.

"11/7/2017

Raelyn Youssef,

It is rarely for me to mind about a lady as much as I did about you. At first it was just for research of the mission, but I found myself attracted to you. The way you live... it is so different from mine. I was never a good Muslim. Still, honestly. But watching you made me realized something.

Yes, I've watched you. Over months. I know the scar on your left shoulder and that guitar pick necklace you wear under your hijab. I've crossed the line before we even met, and I apologize for that.

There's never been a part of my plan to actually ruin your life. It was only to make you stick with me while I calculate all of the possibilities.

I can fulfill my words and just run away now, but I can't find it in me to let your secret out. The bond that we're making has affected me. I've never been understood as much as you do to me, Rae. And for that, thank you.

It was also never a part of the plan to involve someone else but right now, I don't have many choice. I wish your roommate is reliable. The red pen drive is the modified virus and the red dots on the desktop are all Edward's properties. Everything's ready for you to discover.

I'm hoping you get to finally see who Edward actually is and finish this for me. I'm sorry if it breaks your heart to witness the person you once loved turns into a monster, but you deserve to know the truth. Exchanging myself with your freedom, even if it means death, isn't a big deal for me. I just want him to get what he deserves.

Please take care of my father when I'm gone. Perhaps take him to the old folks' home. It's optional if you wanna pretend being his daughter-in-law, though.

Joke.

Thanks for everything and sorry for everything. Take care, Rae.

- Z "

A thousand emotions filled in me as I read the letter. He gave himself away so that I was released. He never let my secret out, so there's no reason for Ed to 'save' it to begin with. I suit the story with situations I was in.

Charlie is a cat, huh? I swear that guy deserves an Oscar.

"I won't let you die, Zack." I whispered over the earpiece.

The stable breathing was still heard. I took out my earpiece and closed the windows, before turning off my laptop.

Stood up from the chair, I moved to my bed. Dark. Silence. But my mind was a noise. I think it's time for me to use it in a good way. I closed my eyes, letting out a small sigh. The plan had formed systematically in my head.

I was going to absorb all about Ed's company first; keeping every of his deal in my hand. Zack probably didn't do it because it's complicated, if not impossible. Everything was in that secret room. You can't access it from outside.

But I could.

After everything, Ed wouldn't suspect a thing if I acted properly. I'd make sure it's done professionally this time. The acting, the hacking...

Let me just be honest now. I lied when I said social media was the most I could do. The secret that I held all along was that... I accidentally trespassed the uni's private files. Yes, I did it from afar. It contents many things, but my eyes specifically focused on the exam questions file.

And you know the next.

I did it for two semesters. The reputation I owned wasn't by a good way. It'd stopped afterwards, keeping myself clean for the next year. I did realize the possibility of Zack figured that out because he like owned the uni's information but I thought he had nothing important against me so I should be safe.

I couldn't be more wrong. If everyone just knew the secret I kept, it'd be a disaster.

I had to start doing this mission by myself tomorrow. I was gonna do what Zack couldn't. To finish this, once and for all.