Chapter 7

"...for a main idea, I would like to present future economic on Callisto." Terra set down James' paper and rubbed her eyes, setting down the red pen. "Solid work, James," she whispered to no one, and slid his paper into the folder.

She slipped off her heels and popped her feet on the desk, sliding backwards. With a small sigh, she picked up her next day's lesson plan and glanced at the clock- nine o'Clock. Late for someone who had two hours of sleep the night before. The Orbital Ball had not been worth the sleep deprivation and, more importantly, the loss of work hours. Two weeks of class used for ball preparation and all her students had to show for it was the ability to waltz.

The words jumbled in her head and she shook it to rid herself of drowsiness. As she did, she glanced out the window and noticed the neat lines of the orange orchards, bright in the moonlight. A short walk wasn't a bad idea.

She put her heels on and unlocked the tunnel door, suddenly energized. A flight of stairs took her to the gardens outside and she set off for the orchards. It was bright enough for her to see and hopefully too dark for anyone to spot her. Then again, she doubted anyone would cite her. These times were the only ones where she pulled the "queen card."

There was no fence and no sign of electric security. No guards either. She found the soil was relatively dry and took off her shoes again to stroll. She liked her shoes, and didn't mind a little dirt.

The rows of orange trees sprawled around her, long and not so tall that she couldn't see the stars. She picked out constellations she had painstakingly memorized in astronomy and recounted the ancient stories. The UA believed it would one day expand to reach those stars. Often, Terra wondered if they could even stay how they were now. Neptune gone, and who next? The UA could end up as Mars and Jupiter and no one else for company.

The Orbital Ball had only confirmed her worries with its Neptunian announcement and the cold relations between nearly every group. Matt would not speak to anyone he didn't deem worthy and Captain Khione's family looked downright murderous at any display of friendship. James' parents, she realized, were mere pawns of a greater scheme within Jupiter. The massive planet and it's even more massive population scared her almost as much as her own family.

A beam of light swept across the row stretching for days in front of her, followed by a shout. "Who's there?!"

She froze. Should she be worried? No, these would be guards. She would be let off with a warning and a slap on the wrist. The light came closer, a flashlight and several glowing armbands.

"Who's there?!" Someone called again, and the guards came close enough for her to see. Three men and two women, all in military apparel. As she had suspected, guards.

She held out her badge with a shaking hand that she tried in vain to steady. You're not scared, she told herself. But then, the figure standing behind the rest looked a lot like...

"Terra Solum," she said. "UAA Professor of Royal Training. Just out for a walk."

"Not a good place for a walk," said one of the women. "Anyone could see you. There are spies. Mercurian spies."

"Enough," said the figure in back, and he stepped forward into the light. "We all know who she is, as does she. I doubt anyone would ever want to mess with her."

Captain Khione. She inhaled sharply in spite of herself. "Thank you," she said, then realized that probably wasn't the appropriate answer and blushed. She was glad it was dark.

He cleared his throat. "We'll accompany you back to UAA."

"That's not necessary," she said, and his eyes flitted to her bare feet.