Chapter 8

She'd been writing for hours, leaving her homework to rot in its pile on the corner of her desk. Her hands were cramping, and as she typed the final draft in the computer lab, she breathed a sigh of relief. Three articles. Three articles for the Silver Fire, via Roar of Clans. Three articles to send her name skyrocketing.

The first talked about Neptune going dark, becoming a Last Resort, and was sure to turn some heads, to say the least. She'd condemned Megaran's decisions, condemned the senators, and condemned Neptune's chancellor, though he had little to do with it, she knew. Just trying to stir up talk.

The second was about Ganymede, soon to steal the spotlight. Artemisia proposed a financial solution she knew was going through parliament and losing. This would get heat, she knew, and also thought it would probably work, but Megaran wouldn't allow it to be chosen. Allow Ganymede to formulate its own economy? Ridiculous.

The third was simply a recap of the Orbital Ball, and reasons it should be cancelled. Heated debate that didn't really matter? Perfect.

She hit 'send' and imagined her documents spinning through the air towards Captain Seele's inbox, and briefly wondered if this was how people lived on Earth long ago. Information flying through the atmosphere whenever they wanted it to, at the touch of a button, free to say anything and anyone free to read it. So people said.

She would work on writing three more article this week, and send them next Saturday, if things went well. For now, she would wait and see what happened when they were published tomorrow.

A computer lab attendant called her last name. "Time up!"

Artemisia frowned but obediently packed up her things. Stupid internet time laws.

Daisy jumped when the message flashed on her wall, announcing itself with a short beeping sound and a red light. Apparently, it was urgent. She pushed her chair back from her desk and wrapped her blanket around her shoulders. It wasn't that she was cold- but being wrapped in blankets reminded her of being home, those times when it was too cold for the synthetic atmosphere to keep Avonleah warm.

She opened the little spinning envelope and read aloud, whispering, "Phone call waiting. Cpt. Seele, Dir. Agriculture."

Who was that? She frowned and pressed the receiving button, heart pounding. She didn't like talking on the phone.

"Hello, Daisy Edelweiss speaking."

She heard someone clear their throat. "Good evening, Princess Edelweiss. My name is Captain Seele, Director of Agriculture."

Did he want to know about Neptune too? She was growing tired of talking about it. "Glad to be introduced, Captain Seele. May I ask your purpose in calling?"

"I've come with a proposition for you, one your parents already know of. I assume you haven't had much contact with them?" he said.

She could feel a headache coming on. What was he talking about? "No, I haven't."

"Sadly, I'm sure. Have you heard of the Silver Fire?"

"Just a bit."

"I also work as head of the Silver Fire organization, and we've been in contact with your parents. We would like you to join as well," he explained.

She felt annoyance prick the back of her mind, more about the fact that her parents had been talking to him and not her than that he'd said anything. "And why haven't my parents told me about this?"