29 | her father's daughter

"Leon found out that Kylie and Elijah were having an affair."

Kylie wasn't stupid, she'd always known that the truth would find its way out. That's the thing about the truth, it exists beyond individual belief – one can escape from it as much as they want but it remains there, niggling at you and everyone else, until one day the world decides that it's time.

And today would be Kylie's time.

It hadn't mattered that she and Elijah had promised to put a stop to their sordid affair. Not when the truth was what Jax had wanted out before his death. He'd wanted her to tell the truth to Jess, to their mother when he'd been alive and she'd resisted completely. Would he be at peace in whatever afterlife he was in if she was still keeping that truth buried within her? More importantly, would she?

It was time. But it seemed wrong.

Because now the silence clung to her skin in the most distressing way; seeping into her bloodstream, entering her veins and paralysing her so much so that she couldn't open her mouth to scream, to cry, to finally apologise.

"What?" Valerie finally breathed out, breaking the all-encompassing silence that had previously ensued. Her facial features were scrunched up in confusion as though she hadn't quite comprehended the words that had left Seb's mouth.

She guffawed suddenly, an erratic sound. One that was inappropriate given the current situation, "that's absolute bullshit, tell him, Kylie! He's got it so wrong. You couldn't be more bloody wrong, Seb!"

"I'm not wrong, Val. I know that much. Jax...he told me that night about Kylie and Elijah's fling, it's been going on for months apparently. And it all makes sense now, Leon losing control of the car, her being in the car, it's because he found it...isn't that right, Kylie?" He roared the last few words, latching onto the back of Kylie's arm to force a response out of her, anything out of her. "Tell me I am wrong Kylie, I beg you. If I'm wrong, then correct me?"

Kylie's hands flew to cover her mouth, her eyes squeezed shut as she realised her luck had finally run out.

"Kylie, tell him? Why won't you tell him?! You wouldn't do that, my little girl wouldn't do that...not after what your father did to us...I know you wouldn't do that...I know it, Kylie, I know it so please just say it. Please..." Valerie howled out, her hands firmly placed on Kylie's shoulders, shaking her hysterically as she spoke.

"Mum...I'm so sorry." Kylie murmured, the beads of tears already dribbling down her cheeks.

"Sorry? Why are you saying sorry?! I didn't fucking ask you to say sorry, I asked you tell me that you wouldn't do that, that Seb is wrong! So why aren't you telling me that, Kylie?!"

"Because...I can't, Ma I wish I could but I can't tell you that. Because...Seb's not wrong, me and Elijah have been having an affair." Kylie snivelled.

Now that she'd said the words, she knew they couldn't be unsaid. They were out in the open and somehow that added a sense of realism to it all. She could finally see how revolting her actions truly had been. How low she'd truly sunk in the past six months.

Valerie suddenly stood up, the chair she'd been sitting on flung back, groaning as it hit the hard concrete. She let out a moan of pain as she moved away from the girl, her head buried in her hands, "he was here...I let him into our home thinking he'd come to see you because of Jax...I thought he cared. Is that why he left here so late because you were sleeping with him?"

"No Ma! It's over, it's been over for weeks. We were just talking, I swear." She turned to face Seb, pleading to his better nature, "I swear, it's over now."