⚭ Keith; Chapter Seven ⚭

{Six Weeks Later, at the Galaxy Garrison}

Keith's POV

I sit impatiently, waiting for my upcoming turn in the solo simulator. Only four people wait for their turn in front of me, a thousand times more eager than I am. My foot is tapping with irritation, trying to wake up the rest of my body. I'm not getting a lot of sleep, but during the rest I do get, night terrors of her ending the way Shiro did.. they run through my brain endlessly.

It's scary to think about and hard to not imagine. I'm trying my best, I really am, but something about her made me.. better. Maybe it was the fact that I actually did homework, but it was always an excuse to be with her after classes. With her gone, I've been slipping.

"Cadet Kogane, a word?" Iverson booms, flipping through pages clamped onto his clipboard as he catches my attention. I stand up tiredly and walk to him, knowing all too well what he's looking to discuss with me.

"Cadet, we got you back on track a long time ago. What happened? Did you sleep at all last night?" He asks, suspicion curving his brows as he waits for an answer from me. I fold my arms and looked coldly to the side, bringing a sigh out of him. I don't know how to do much in awkward situations, so silence is my go-to answer.

"Look, your friend is fine. She'll be coming back any hour now." Iverson says. "I've never seen any of my students go from an 'A' grade to a 'C+' just because they miss someone. Do I dare remove you from the solo fighter program?" He asks, and my eyes widen. He must see the instant fear in them, because he presses on.

"It could potentially fix whatever problem you're having if you have less of a load on your back. I know for a fact that Cadet McClain would love to take your place." He insists, and I resist the urge to straighten my mood immediately. I'm not willing to surrender my pride just yet.

"It's not what you think, just make sure that sh-" I stop, breath hitching. "that they get back safe. Don't worry about me." I reply, choosing my words carefully. Iverson gives me a short nod, smiling a sympathetic grin at me. Like he feels bad for me. As much as I would like to be angry, the intercom then sings out into the air, signaling that it's about to share a message. I hold my breath. I know who it could be.

"Attention students and faculty; The Galaxy Garrison Nix Mission-zero-two-seven ship is currently landing on dock station four. Requesting faculty to meeting room Q immediately. All Cadets are strictly prohibited from watching the landing. Classes will continue as normal at the end of this announcement." It blares, and it's obvious that the speaker giving the announcement is clearly in a rush. When it cuts off, a painful shriek rings through the air, but I ignore it's wailing.

Y/n is back.

Y/n is home.

Instantly, my legs break into a sprint and I bolt out of the door, clearing track as fast as I humanly can in the direction of landing dock four.

The last thing I hear is Iverson asking someone why he wasn't notified of the landing, yelling angrily into a communication device.

However, after that, my legs are carrying me as fast as they can to the dock. I can feel my face strain as cold wind blows into it. It feels good to smile again, it's been about a month.