Chapter 3

Fallon

Fallon perched on an antique couch—all scrolly carved wood and fancy fabric covering the seat and back—which groaned a protest under his weight every time he shifted. He expected it to buckle at the slightest twitch. These prissy pieces of furniture were not meant to hold a man his size.

Feeling like an errant school boy called into the principal's office, he tried not to fidget under the watchful gazes of the five Mating Council members and Macon. The man was apparently filling in for the Blue Clan's representative on the Council, a position in the process of being refilled by King Thanatos. The men sat at a long conference table nearby, if the ornate mahogany could be called a simple table. They were ready to observe, though supposedly not interfere.

When Finn had described the process, he'd mentioned something about this, but Fallon hadn't paid that much attention because he'd assumed he'd be eliminated already.

Wrong. So wrong.

Finn had lost his shit when Fallon had Skyped him last night.

"I've found my mate," he'd said when Finn's face appeared on his computer screen.

"What the hell, brother?" Finn, usually Mr. Icy Control, hadn't even been able to stay seated, jumping to his feet. "You've hardly been there enough time to meet her, let alone determine she is your mate. I told you—"

"It's Maddie."

Finn shut his mouth with a snap, his teeth clacking audibly enough to be picked up by his computer mic. Then his brother resumed his seat, crossing his arms as he leaned back. "The arson investigator you tangled with last year?"

"Yeah."

Finn regarded him, unblinking. "Is she the reason you've been such an asshole the last six months?"

"Gee, thanks."

"You know it's true." Finn gave him a narrow-eyed stare. "She left town suddenly, come to think of it. I hadn't put two and two together until now."

Trust his observant brother to remember that fact. "Am I right?" Finn pushed.

Fallon just shrugged. "I see."

No doubt he did. Finn had always been able to see beyond the surface of things.

"Any serious competition?" Finn asked.

Finn knew multiple men would be in the process with him, but how did he guess one would stand out? "A guy named Cole. American by the sound of it. Part of a colony on the east coast. He's the one who brought her to the Council's attention."

"Which means there's already a relationship there," Finn murmured, more to himself.

"He all but claimed her." Fallon had to concentrate to keep smoke from spewing from him as his fire roiled within. "He's just going through the motions of this process."

"And Maddie?"

Fallon's teeth ached as he clenched his jaw. "She didn't give a sign either way, other than obviously being nervous of the entire thing." Not true. She seemed to trust Cole, Fallon just didn't want to admit that.

Finn grimaced. "Sorry dude, but you are in a tough spot."

Once upon a time, big brother would've sounded more upset about that. But not after Phoebe.

"Tell me something I don't know," Fallon shot back. "Your wise counsel is overwhelming."

Finn didn't even flinch, his eyes turning calculating as he ran a hand over the perpetual layer of stubble shadowing his chin. "Did she show dragon sign when she was with you?"