Chapter 7

Fallon

About damn time.

If waiting all day Thursday had been torture, getting through today had been worse. Most of the day had been set aside as extra time for Maddie to meet one more time with any of the men she wished to. Fallon had not been called, so he'd spent his day twiddling his thumbs like an asshole while his dragon paced inside him until his head was pounding.

The only break had come when Jagar and Macon had arrived at his room for an impromptu visit. He still didn't know what that was about. They'd been pleasant, bringing him coffee even. However, the questions they'd asked, and a few comments, had sat wrong with him.

Was his loyalty as a blue dragon being questioned? The brand on his hand between his finger and thumb—the mark of his king—showed otherwise. Or were the rumors right and the blue clan and anyone associated with it was coming under question?

Fallon entered the large ceremonial room with an eerie sense of déjà vu. This was where they'd started, with Maddie on the dais. She was seated this time in a fancy chair that resembled a throne, Jagar's mate no longer at her side, and looking so damn alone. The Council members and the other three shifters hoping for a mate all stood around in small groups talking amongst one another.

In addition, several other men had joined the group along with the Council members' mates. Anyone on the Council was required to already be mated, to eliminate any complications.

Apparently, Fallon was the last to arrive. "No time like the present," he muttered, and made a beeline for her.

Maddie was sitting quietly, her face turned away from his approach. Only her tapping toe under the hem of her dress showed her agitation. She was gorgeous in a green gown the color of new grass that flowed around her and made her eyes more green than grey. Her serious lips were pink as primrose petals, slick and glossy, begging to be kissed. The second he approached, she turned her head and flinched at the sight of him.

Pain shot through the region of his heart as though he'd been struck by a poison-tipped arrow. Damn.

He didn't touch her. He couldn't have without the other men dragging him away before he got this said. Instead, he went down on one knee in front of her. He plucked at the fine material of his charcoal grey suit, which didn't stretch well when on bended knee apparently.

"What are you doing?" she muttered under her breath harshly, glancing around.

"Begging."

Her mouth dropped open.

Fallon took a deep breath. Then, loud enough to fill the cavernous room with sound, he launched into it.

"Madeline Thompson, you are the love of my very long life. I am here, on my knees for all to see, to beg you."

The low murmur of voices that had previously been an undertone silenced. Her cheeks blazed red, and she flicked another nervous glance over their audience. He had no doubt every eye was on them now.

"Fallon—" she started.

"Don't say no. Don't say anything. Just..."

This wasn't working, he could tell by the flat light in her eyes. Fallon closed his eyes. "If you choose another, I'm finished." He opened his eyes. "I'm begging you," he said in a voice lowered, for her alone. "Everything about you is made for me, and I'm made for you. I want to spend the rest of my remaining years making you happy."

Maddie swallowed.

"Just give me the chance," he implored her. "Choose me."

"Get up, man," Cole scoffed from behind him. "You had your shot. You're just pathetic now."