Sinners pt.2

I get up and help Rebecca out of the bushes. Watching our moms drive off, feels like a stab in the chest. You'd think your mom would understand and accept you without having to involve religion, but I guess not. The bystanders don't offer any help or even ask if we are okay. I guess all Christians are the same.

"We can't go home. They don't want us."

I look at Rebecca. She's right. We need a place to stay, even if it's temporary.

"We can stay at a motel."

"Yeah, but, we don't have anything."

"I have about $30 on me. I can buy us a little something until we get more money."

She smiles and hugs me.

"Thank you, Hazel."

"I'm doing this for the both of us. But before we do anything, we need to go to a drug store to clean ourselves."

Fortunately, there was a CVS pharmacy about two blocks from the church. We spent about $8 at CVS. We sat outside and cleaned our wounds. By the time we were done it was almost 2pm.

On our way to the nearest motel, which was a 45 minute walk, we decided to ask people for a few dollars. Thirty minutes into the walk and we had made $30, so we had $52 in total. That's not enough.

"I don't think we can stay at a motel. We don't have enough money. We can stay at the homeless shelter for a few days or so."

"As long as we have shelter and food, we're okay."

We stop at a family dollar to buy two  outfits each, a pack of underwear to share and comfortable shoes. We grab some baby wipes so we can freshen up every day. That leaves us with $17. The shelter charges $5 per person for one week, but they provide three meals a day, so it's a good price.

The shelter is only ten minutes away from our current location, so we get there quickly. Walking up the steps, we see a middle-aged woman at the doors with a clipboard in hand. She gives us a welcoming smile and brings her hand out.

"Welcome to the homeless shelter."