Home, Sweet Home

Ava

            Angelina sung off-key along to whatever song played on the radio. I didn't recognize it. Granted it was "Throwback Lunch" hour on the station, and I didn't live the eighties much like the rest of my companions in the car.

            We passed the familiar "Welcome to Newberry" sign and Angelina whistled lowly from the backseat.

            "Talk about a throwback," she said. "Last time we were here, we almost died. Let's hope we can't keep along the smooth trail of life today."

            William shot her a glare in the rearview mirror, receiving a middle finger back from her.

            If anyone was worked up over what happened the other night--the whole explosion in the front yard along with the mysterious note telling us that Newberry needed us--it was Angelina. Over and over she went on about her "baby" being no more. And I guess I missed something before because she insisted on William paying for a new jeep.

            Now William drove into the eerily quiet town square. I glanced over at the clock--noon on a Saturday. Where the hell was everyone?

            Derek gazed out the window with that always notably wise expression--eyebrows pulled down  as he assessed a situation. Him coming along didn't sit well with William, which was the only reason Angelina was asked to join our little adventure. Usually, she would've been back at the house watching over Liv, her latest Newborn student. But seeing as Liv had taken that stupid cure and was no longer your average vampire let alone Newborn, the roles had changed.

            Jane was the first option to come along considering her past friendship with Derek and the way they easily accounted for each other. But she insisted on staying back. I caught the way she glanced over at Luke and an odd feeling bubbled in my stomach. I quickly shoved it down.

            Victor stayed as a member of extra strength and input, and Bernard and Jacqueline tended to the house as much as they could. They had other problems to deal with evidently, ones they didn't bother letting out not when there was already so much going on.

            Then there was Liv and Hanson. Liv was clearly not in the right state with her half human, half vampire tendencies--another reason for Bernard staying back so that he could study her and her blood. And Hanson wouldn't leave her side.

            Val kept to her room ever since that night. Jacqueline was the only one aloud to check in on her. Something about the fact that they knew each other the least and Jacqueline still had that helpful, motherly presence. She wouldn't even let me in, leaving me outside the door begging to talk. Very reminiscent of an earlier occurrence in our lives, but this she was the one shut up in the room.

            I couldn't even begin to imagine how she felt. We still hadn't gotten word back if the body in the jeep was Chris's, but everyone expected the unspoken truth.

            I glanced over at William now, my heart burning. My feelings about him had become surer over the weeks, but I still couldn't admit them especially to his face. I knew though if he had been the one burned alive, I would be in a similar state as Val.

            Derek's nose wrinkled as he stepped out of the car.

            "What is it?" Angelina asked, shoving her hands in the pockets of her denim jacket.

            "Do you not smell that?"

            We all turned are noses to the air. A sterile, sweet scent drifted towards us. It was faint, but William and I clearly noticed. I closed my eyes as I recognized it, vague memories sprouted at the back of my mind. Meanwhile Angelina shook her head and shrugged.