Another Closed Door

Liv

            The calm before the storm.

            I made my way down the quiet streets as the people of Newberry held themselves in their homes, oblivious to the war about to be fought in their wake. They didn't know they were being used. They didn't know they were just an army--collateral damage, in the end.

            I hadn't seen my mother since the day we arrived in Newberry. I thought avoiding her was best, whether she be in her compelled  state or not.

            But now, I felt like I had to see her--one last time.

            This morning, I'd crawled out of bed after only a couple hours of sleep. My bones cracked and I could barely move my fingers. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Somehow overnight, it had gotten worse. My face was more lined than ever, and my roots were almost completely gray.

            I threw my hair up and put on a baseball cap before making my way downstairs. Everyone else sat in the kitchen around the table discussing strategies. They shot me curious looks as I brewed myself a cup up coffee and leaned against the counter.

            Hanson kept glancing over at me from where he stood over the table. I tried to ignore him to the best of my capabilities. After everything that went down last night, I just wanted to forget the conversation we had. I was dying and there was no getting past that.

            He would have to learn to live.

            "I need some fresh air," I told them.

            "You can't go out alone," Derek said, not even bothering to look my way.

            Well, it's not like I have anything else to live for. But I just rolled my eyes and looked to Hanson. He nodded before pulling himself from the table and walking over to me.

            "What up with the hat?" he asked as we made our way out the front door.

            I licked my lips which had grown dry and chapped. "Just trying things out."

            But his eyes narrowed as he figured it out. I didn't want to discuss it. I wanted to live the remainder of my life on my own terms--or what this brooding war would allow. And for starters, I wanted to see the woman who probably hated me by now.

            "I want to see my parents," I whispered.

            An odd sound came from Hanson, not quite a chuckle--it was sadder than any amount of humor could suffice.

            "I should have known you wanted more than 'fresh air'," he said lowly. "You have quite the way of playing a guy, Liv Richardson."

            "I'm not trying to play you."

            He smiled crookedly. "Of course you're not. But we can't go anyway. The whole town is being compelled, meaning your mother and father . You remember what happened last time--"

            "I don't care," I snapped at him. "Whether you believe it or not, I'm dying. The least I could do is say goodbye to the people who raised me. I don't care if they're not in their right minds right now or whatever. I need to see them before everything goes to complete hell."

            His face held strict and almost expressionless. "I'm sorry, Liv."

            I shook my head. "Don't be sorry. Just let me--"