Feed

"What do you mean the baby is no longer there?" Phil couldn't quite grasp what his sister was trying to tell him.

"Yes," said Grace. Her voice sounding terrified with confusion and fear. "They couldn't see any other baby. I don't..."

"What you're saying doesn't make any sense, is the doctor there with you?"

"Hang on, she is in the room with Lola." Grace walked hurriedly through the clinic corridor, her frantic state visible to the nurses and patients she passed on her way. She had not wanted to make that phone call in Lola's presence. Lola who she had left for a few minutes was struggling to understand the situation.
Grace walked into the room.

"You have to eat something to increase your energy level." Dr Momoh was speaking to Lola.

Grace passed her phone to the doctor.

"Hello."

"Hello doctor, what really is the situation?"

"Mr Phil, err, good day, I'm not entirely sure how to explain this," the doctor moved closer to the door. "The baby we lost is no longer there."

"Where did it go?

"Aargh, I've never seen anything like this before. It seems the other baby... consumed the one we lost."Dr Momoh stopped speaking for a moment. She wasn't even sure she was saying what she was saying. She however knew what she saw. That image. The image of the foetus with the bone in it's mouth. It came back into her head.

"Mr Phil, can you come to the clinic?" She found it difficult to discuss the situation through the phone.

"Okay doctor. Please let me speak to my wife."Dr Momoh handed the phone to Lola.

"Darling, it will be alright, I'll get the next flight. I'm on my way."

Lola was worried. She had not gotten over her previous loss. Now she had to deal with this. She wondered if the baby was okay. She couldn't rest. She couldn't eat. She couldn't sleep.

Grace went to a restaurant close to the clinic. She made her order. She had the urge to call her priest. All she could tell him was that she would appreciate some prayers for her sister-in-law. She picked up the pack of rice and made her way back to the clinic.

"Sis, stop worrying, you haven't eaten since, try a little of it, just a spoon." Grace pushed the rice closer to Lola.

"Hmm," Lola sighed. "Okay, I need to pee first." Lola stood up and walked to the toilet. She was a little unsteady on her feet. She did her business and walked back. "Gosh, I can't see properly."

"That's why you must eat,"Grace added.

"Ah, feel kinda diz..."

Lola passed out.

Dr Momoh sought help from her colleagues. Her mind roamed from thought to thought. There was no way she was letting Lola leave the clinic. Everything about Lola's case was strange. A thought made her shiver.

"If the foetus could feed on its twin, what could it do to the mother?" She wondered.