{SEVEN}

{SEVEN}

I was sitting inside my car outside of a strip mall by my house after I had finished getting ready to head out. I could have stayed home and spent time with my wife and daughter before leaving, but my nerves were a mess. I was nervous. I wasn't sure why but my stomach was rolling and my hands were sweating at just the thought of picking Scott up. I got ready quickly, picking out my favourite weekend outfit, a plain gray T-shirt with a white undershirt that poked through just enough to know it was there, khaki shorts and white socks with Adidas sneakers, I opted out of the ball cap, having spent ten minutes alone on trying to get my hair in the perfect form, along with shaving my face before a shower and putting on my favourite Marc Jacobs cologne.

It was a little after seven when Scott had texted me, giving me his address, The Thomas building in town that was one of the tallest buildings in the city. And judging by the amount of numbers in his address I could only assume he was way up there. I sat outside his apartment for about five minutes before Scott came walking out and making his way to the car. I almost didn't recognize him without a suit on, he wore a plated shirt over a black t-shirt and khaki pants. He opened the door to my car with a smile and sat down in the passenger seat. "Hey." He greeted, "Nice car. I'm not used to being in the front. My driver rathers me sit in the back." He said looking around to the back seat. "Mind if I crawl back there? I might be more comfortable."

I think my face said it all, I looked at him like he was crazy but tried to cover it up with a cough before I nodded. "Um. Sure, whatever you want." He looked at me for a second before bursting out laughing and grabbing my shoulder giving it a quick shake.

"Oh, Sidney you're so gullible." He laughed a bit more shaking his head. "Honestly your face was priceless."

"Oh shut up. I grumbled putting the car into drive. Scott still chuckled beside me and I just rolled my eyes trying my hardest not to smile at him, but failing when I looked towards the younger man and saw him side eyeing my with a grin on his face. "You're not funny," I remarked when he let out another small laugh.

"Not to you, but to myself I'm hilarious." He said earning another eye roll from me as we pulled into the mall parking lot. I grabbed my wallet before we both left the car and made our way towards the cinema. "Sid, you look like such a daddy."

I stopped dead in my tracks when he said that, my face turning beet red as he caught up and laughed beside me. "Anybody ever tell you that you dress like a dad? Khaki shorts with long socks. You're adorable."

"What did I tell you about not being funny?" I groaned as we started to walk again. Scott kept laughing his stupid laugh, but I didn't mind, it wasn't stupid enough that I didn't want to hear it. I actually really liked the sound. It was childish, he had a childish air to him but not enough to say he was immature but to say that he was still attached to his youth, which was nice to see because I had to grow up so fast and he made me feel a little younger. If that was possible. "I'm in my thirty's, you think I care that you think I dress like a dad?"

"I never said it was bad," He argued with a smile. "Did you miss me calling you adorable. I think you look nice."

I couldn't help but laugh at him. "Can you stop talking?" I didn't think I could handle any more compliments from him, it was making my nerves worse and I might throw up. God, what was I six-teen?

The theatre was a little crowded, but it was expected for the time of night, we paid for our tickets and made our way to the concession, Scott offered to buy the popcorn and drinks, after a little back and forth of me telling him not to and him telling me that he wanted to because he had a points card that could get us the popcorn for free. And who was I to argue with free food? So as he got the food I looked around the theatre, before my eyes landed inside the arcade and I saw a familiar tuft of blonde hair on the head of a boy who should be at Sam's house studying and not standing with his arms around a girls waist while he helped her aim a toy gun. Ever dad cell in me had to fight the rational side of my brain to not go over there give him an ear full about lying to his mom.

Just like I did.

I turned my head quickly hoping and praying Eric didn't see me as Scott came over and handed me the popcorn. "I need butter, do you like butter?"

"Yeah, I could use butter." Then he started towards the arcade where the station that held the butter was nestled and I wanted to grab his arm but couldn't due to the fact my hands were full, and it became too late because as soon as we stood in front of the arcade Eric's green eyes landed on me and both of our faces paled.

I hoped he would stay with his friends but Eric was my son and we never did things that made sense. So before I knew it Eric was beside me grabbing me by the arm and pulling me to the side. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at work or something." Eric whined low enough for just the two of us to hear.

"I could ask you the same thing. Where's Sam?" I wiggled my arm out of Erics giving him a stern look,

Scott was beside us in no time looking between the two of us with knitted brows. "What's going on here? Sidney, should I get security?"

"No, no. It's nothing. Eric, I'm picking you up at ten at Sam's house. And if you enjoy your phone as much as I know you do. You'll be there." I threated, then almost regretted my words, one because I know what's on Eric's phone and how much he really enjoys it, and because Scott was right beside me and I hadn't told him about the wife, or kids. In fact, I hadn't even worn my ring around him. It was still sitting on the bathroom counter back home. Eric didn't seem to care about my inner anxiety because he just rolled his eyes and went back to his group of friends. One of them, in fact, being Sam.

"I'm sorry about that." I apologized, turning to Scott who just smiled.

"Nah don't worry about it. He your brother? You guys could be twins, well except for the age difference and height and... yeah related?"

"It's um. It's a long story. Come on we should get going out movies about to start."

"Sure." Scott grabbed his popcorn from the butter counter and walked with me towards into the theatre, and I could only hope that he and Eric would forget tonight because I don't think I could handle lying anymore. 

1270

1270