Warmth

My eyelids were heavy as I struggled to open them, the rest of my body laying limply on a soft cushion. The light hurt my eyes and I could barely move my arms.

I groaned and pushed myself to sit up, trying to regain some strength. I rubbed my eyes wearily, trying to wake myself up. The room smelled strongly of antiseptic, the sharp scent burning my lungs. It was oddly quiet, nothing making noise other than my labored breath and the unsteady beeping of my heart monitor.

Kayden? I tried asking through the mind link, but I couldn't feel him on the other end. It's like he was missing. My heart began to beat erratically. What if Rowen killed him? My eyes became glassy with unshed tears.

My chest heaved up and down, trying to get off this hospital bed but failing miserably. Soon after, Alice came rushing in, the most panicked I've ever seen her. "Charlotte! You're going to hurt yourself!" She scolded, helping me back on the bed.

"What's wrong?" She soothed, trying to stop my hyperventilating. I shook my head, frantically trying to reach Kayden. Not even his wolf was responding to the link.

"Where's Kayden?" I croaked. My head lay on her shoulder as her pained face looked at mine.

"He's okay Charlotte, he's alive." She assured me. I wanted to sob in her arms, terrified of even losing him to begin with.

"I-I can't feel him," I hiccuped, wiping my eyes furiously.

She shook her head with sympathy, "The doctors had to separate his werewolf abilities for a short period of time. His body has to heal naturally for the next few days." Alice explained, gently combing through my hair with her fingers.

I nodded, listening to the sound of her heartbeat. "He's looking for you," She added softly, making me lift my head and look at her interestedly.

She left the room and within moments, Kayden came in, limping. He immediately rushed to my side and engulfed me in his arms and I began to cry once more. "I thought you were dead," I sobbed, clutching onto him with every last bit of strength I had.

"I'm right here," He said, grasping the side of my face with his hand, kissing my forehead gently. He, too, looked distressed and buried his face in the crook of my neck.

"I can't feel the bond," I sniffled. His shirt now damp with my tears.

"It's okay love, it will be back soon." He said, climbing into my hospital bed beside me.

I lay my head in his chest, being cautious about both my wounds and his. "I'm sorry," I mumbled brokenly, avoiding another onset of tears.

"Don't be," He replied lowly, "I'd rather be stabbed a million times more if that meant still being with you."

I pulled my head back, lovingly meeting his lips with mine. It was soft, the feeling of his slightly chapped lips against my own was a sensation I could never forget.

All this showed me was that even without the bond, we would still love each other regardless.

****

The pack doctor kicked Kayden out of my room, unfortunately. I wished he could stay a little longer, but he isn't allowed to place any extra stress on his body.

Words couldn't describe how relived I felt to know my mate wasn't dead. I don't even know what I'd do without him. He's my rock just like I am his, without each other, we are incomplete.

I shifted uncomfortably in my bed, wishing I had him here to lay with me again. I deeply missed him, after what we just went through, I want to spend all the time with him I can

Currently, I am getting my wounds checked and rewrapped by my nurse, Maria. She was very light-handed and did her best not to hurt me or apply too much pressure to the injured areas.

Her hands worked steadily and her gaze remained fixed on me as she placed a warm hand against my bare stomach, almost happily. "Congratulations." She smiled warmly.

My breath hitched, "W-What?" I stammered.

"A prince is on his way,"