CHAPTER 5 - HOLD YOUR BREATH

- Alina -

Men and their alpha male instincts, piss the hell out of me.

Kieran didn't love me, that much I knew. And as a fake husband, he was playing his role really well.

Breakfast in bed, jealous over another guy talking to me, being overly protective and amazing sex.

He was doing great. 

I wasn't.

I can't exactly distinguish what was real and what wasn't at this point. Every time he says or does something sweet or remotely loving I have to remind myself that it was all an act.

None of this was real. 

I told myself to enjoy myself while I'm at it, but now I'm afraid I wouldn't want it to even end. That scares me.

Expectations scare me.

Because expectations are meant to be crushed and broken with no chance of achieving them.

That's why they're called expectations.

I thought Connor was an amazing man, kind and gentle. Even in bed. But who knew he was a scheming man with his nose in a bunch of illegal matters? Using my father's money as loan and screwing over it so bad my father ended up getting hurt in the process.

So when Kieran came out in his black singlet and khaki pants with all his glorious muscles for the world to see, I had to press my emotions and expectations down.

He's doing this for the fun of it, play along.

Maluaka beach was bright and sunny, the waters were clear and blue. The man next to me had an arm around my waist, his lips pressed to the top of my head, "I hope you're wearing something appropriate on the inside."

I scoffed, "Is that all you've been thinking about on our way here Kieran?"

He shrugged and tilted my chin up to look at him, "Of course not, I was also wondering if I could help you out of your pretty sundress before swimming with the turtles."

My skin tingled at his words but I glared up at him defiantly, "I can help myself to that but thank you for the kind thought."

We saw Nigel approach and he ran up to us like those drool worthy lifeguards from 'Baywatch'.

Kieran's hold around me tightened but I kept my sights on Nigel to stop the fangirl side of me at a distance from my fake husband's reaction.

He cares for you! He's jealous over a guy because of you!

Yeah right.

Nigel held my face in a friendly gesture and air-kissed my cheek, "Aloha beautiful Alina, you shine brighter than the sun today."

I eyed him, "Was I very dull yesterday then?"

He chuckled, "Goodness no, you have a good sense of humour. This must be the husband that let you swim alone in the pool then?"

Kieran grunted in his caveman-like mannerisms and shook hands with Nigel, "She refused to let me see her in her bikini, said I won't be able to keep my hands off her. She proved herself right when she came back to our suite in her drenched two-piece."

My face flamed with heat and I looked between the two testoterone pumped males, "Kieran, this is my friend and snorkelling instructor for today, Nigel Hale. Nigel, this is my husband, Kieran Knight."

They released their hands from the death grip they inflicted on one another and Nigel turned back to me with a wide smile.

"I didn't expect someone as pretty as you to get snatched off the shelf so quickly. But you weren't wearing any wedding bands so I jumped to conclusions. I apologise for not believing you," he took my hand and kissed the back of it.