Chapter 31

My mouth hung open, not expecting this.

We just nearly got into an accident with Will's parents.

I watched the two smile at him and walk towards us.

"Guys, these are my parents." Will introduced them.

They both resembled him and Cathy, so I could see where they got their traits from. His mother was quite short, she had a nice smile whilst his dad was tall and well built.

"It's nice to meet you." Isaac was the first to say so, before we all quickly agreed politely.

"Thanks for taking care of Will whilst we are unable to." The woman spoke with a hint of a small smile etched across her face.

That was all great and all, but aren't we all ignoring what just happened?

They decided they would go and catch up with Cathy, so me and Max sat in the back of the car again, him very happy not having to be squashed anymore.

A thought then occurred to me, "you guys never met them before?"

Ace turned around to look at me whilst Isaac focused on the road. "No, they've always been busy with work so I guess they never had time to."

I felt sympathy for Cathy and Will, I couldn't imagine what it would be like growing up basically by themselves and rarely seeing their parents. I know I miss my dad a lot, but my childhood was filled of happy memories with him.

Most probably overhearing my thoughts, Max took my hand and squeezed it gently. My eyes met his and after what felt like an eternity, we finally got back to the pack house.

~~~~~

"Guys, I'd like to introduce my mate, Alexa. I hope you guys make her feel welcomed." Max announced, pride was laced in his words which sent a rush of heat throughout my body.

We sat at the middle table, considering they were huge and needed to fit several hundred werewolves, it felt quite suffocating to be surrounded by wide eyes. My social awkwardness was playing up, reminding me that I did not like attention and that they all must be judging me right now.

Trying to look around, I turned my head and let my eyes fall on a couple of faces. They were quite expressionless, but silence draped the dining room.

"Well don't all speak at once." Max sensed my unease.

"Sorry, it's just. She's human." One of them spoke up, the others seemed to agree with him, as though he just voiced their thoughts perfectly.

"So?" Ace stood up, standing right behind Max who was slightly leaning forwards after resting his hands on the table. If I wasn't so filled of nerves at the time, I would have smiled at their close relationship and how Ace was right behind us, supporting us.

"Is alpha okay with this?" The same guy asked again. It's like the others didn't have a voice or something, if they had a problem too then they should speak up about it, not let another person speak for them.

I shook off the not so nice remark I made in my head.

Hushed whispers filled the room. Sentences like "what is Max thinking?" "Has he betrayed us?" "I think they should both leave" "He's probably blind and doesn't realise his mistake."

My hand picked up the glass of wine in front of me, taking a huge sip of the burning liquid.

I stood up, suddenly feeling confident. I would've felt even more empowered if that confidence wasn't coming from the familiar feeling of 'I've had enough of all this.'