Chapter 40- Reminiscing on love, lost and life

Alley's POV

Am I dead?

I didn't know that for sure. All I knew was that everything around me was quiet and dark. There was a feeling of tranquillity there too, like I was finally at peace. I didn't want to be dead, though. It was too soon and there's a lot more I wanted to do with my life.

I looked down and that was when I finally realised I was walking on a cobbled stone path in my fighting outfit, all tattered and torn.

Maybe I was dead after all.

I curiuosly followed the path until it came to an end and there was a dirt road. The road then led me to a beautiful lush green field. The grass was rich and flowers of all sorts were scattered around beautifully.

What was this place?

The cool breeze softly caressed my skin as I slowly weaved my way through the beautiful art of nature.

Suddenly I could hear voices all around, but no one was in sight. They were like soft whispers in the night.

"Anyone there?" I called out and suddenly the voices stopped.

Nothing. There was nothing after that. Maybe I had scared them away.

"Please. Show yourselves. I need answers." I pleaded.

After a few moments of hesitation I saw a woman emerged from behind a tree. She was pale and almost transparent looking. It was really weird.

"What is this place?" I asked her.

She stepped closer towards me with a warm smile on her beautiful face.

"This is the deathland. When good people die they come here. When evil die they go the wasteland." Her tone was informative, yet it held a certain warmth.

So I was dead.

"I died?" I stupidly asked.

"You're not fully dead sweetheart, or else you'd look like us." She responded tenderly.

It was then that I looked down at myself and realised that I wasn't half transparent like they were. I was fully opaque and looked fully human.

At the mention of the word 'us' I looked around and realised that a few more like her were hovering around.

"What does that mean then?" I asked.

"You're hanging between life and death. Your soul is still trying to hold onto your body; it hasn't fully let go as yet." She explained like a mother would.

"I'm not ready to die." I whispered.

"Then you must hurry dear. Find that strength and return to your body." She stated.

"I don't know how." I sighed in defeat.

"No worries, I'll show you." She stepped closer and now she was right in front of me with an outstretched arm. "I'm Ella by the way."

I took her hand in mine and smiled. "Alley."

"That's a pretty name for a pretty witch." Her comment made me freeze.

"How'd you know?"

"I might be dead but my senses aren't. We know power when we see it." She smiled.

"Please I need to get back. I have a wonderful life and I'm too young. I'm not even a legal adult as yet. I've just found the love of my life and have only known him for two months. I have a sister who literally needs me or our legacy will die. My mom, dad, brother and friends all need me. I need them. Please." I stressed.