Chapter 47

“Hold on,” Ellie said. “Wait a moment.”

Sameh looked up.

“Let him go,” Ellie said, quite firmly. Firmly, so Sameh understood she meant it, and wasn’t simply pretending to soothe her conscience. So that Sameh listened, and nothing unpleasant happened to Mark as Sameh stood up.

Sameh understood. She glanced at Ellie, then let go of Mark, and stood up, looking almost disappointed. Mark started rolling to the side, trying to get away from her.

Sameh put her foot on his chest. “Stop,” she said, and Mark went still.

Ellie went over. “Can you hear me?” she said to Mark. “Are you still awake?”

People sometimes fainted with fear and shock at moments like this.

“His eyes are open,” Sameh said, helpfully.

Ellie glared at her, and then looked at Mark again. She leaned closer, trying to tell. Mark’s eyes were open. He was conscious, and watching her, she thought. He seemed dazed.

“Can you hear me?” Ellie said. “Nod if you understand.”

Mark nodded.

“We’re not going to hurt you any more,” Ellie said. “We’re not going to kill you.”

Sameh said, “For fuck’s sake…” under her breath, but she might have been pretending, for Mark’s sake.

Mark said something into the gag, possibly thank you. Then he nodded again, a lot.

“We’re going to leave you here,” Ellie said. “You can walk back to town.”

Mark nodded again.

“But if you tell anyone about this,” Ellie said. “If you warn anyone, or tell anyone about us, it’ll be very bad for you. She’ll come back.” Ellie used her foot to push Mark’s chin sideways, to turn his head toward Sameh. “She’ll come back and find you and do horrible things. Do you understand?”

Mark nodded.

“Good,” Ellie said. “Remember that.”

Mark nodded again and said something. That he’d do as he was told, Ellie assumed.

Ellie hesitated, thinking. She thought a final time, trying to second-guess herself, to convince herself she was doing the right thing. She wasn’t actually completely sure she was, but she also wasn’t sure Mark should die, so it seemed only fair to give him the benefit of the doubt. If she couldn’t be sure he needed to die, she thought, then he probably ought to live. At least for the time being. She might as well just trust him. He seemed trustworthy enough, right now. He was terrified. He probably wouldn’t cause trouble. And even if he tried to, there wasn’t very much he could actually to do harm their mission.

“We’re letting you go,” Ellie said. “But only just. So stay out of our way, all right?”

Mark nodded.

“Stay away from your militia friends, and stay away from their building.”

Another nod.

Ellie thought one last time, and decided she was sure. She would let him go.

“And don’t get up too quickly,” she said. “You might faint after all this. Just lie there for a while, and then sit up slowly. Don’t start walking until you’re sure you can.”

Mark looked at her, but she wasn’t sure he understood. It didn’t matter. Ellie stood upright, and glanced at Sameh, and then walked back to the SUV.

Sameh followed. Reluctantly, Ellie thought.