Chapter Fourteen

Weeks drag by. The tutor does come and I'm schooled in politics and public speaking. I read from books of Werewolf history and I memorize names of alphas and of failed rebellions against humans. I learn more about the moon goddess and all her rights and rituals.

Especially the fact she makes no mistakes.

My tutor has been especially good in drilling that into my head and managing to include that in every test.

I stare out the window of my study room, writing a paper on a philosophy based on the moon goddess dictations for life and English thinkers.

I thought I left this behind when I graduated high school.

It's frustrating. I don't want to do this.

But the most frustrating part has been the lack of word from Nia and Iris. I don't know if they're planning their next move or they need information from me. It's been complete silence and it's driving me to insanity.

The creaking of the door snaps me out of my thoughts. I look up at my tutor, standing by Jonah at the door. A lump forms in my throat and I swallow. "I'm not done."

"That's enough for the day. The Alpha wants to talk to you."

"I'm very nearly done and I don't want to lose my train of thought."

The tutor purses his lips. "You're still writing the second paragraph of a six-page essay."

I sigh. "Fine. But don't get mad when it sucks."

Jonah pulls me out of the room and my thoughts of literature and philosophy disappear. I am here, he is here. He is the only thing. I shake my head. Thoughts like that creep in more and more. Heat, he says. Don't fight it, he'll say too. It's nonsense.

"What do you want?"

He steps forward an grabs my hand. His touch is electrifying. "Well?"

"I don't know," he mumbles. "You've been on my mind." If I'm changing, he's changing too. The way his hands stay on my leg, or on my back as often as they can be. The way his eyes stay a gleaming yellow for long stretches of time. The way he lingers around me like a shadow. How can I keep secrets when he clings to me like a second skin?

He pushes himself into me and we are locked in an embrace. My mind is gone, wasted, disappeared. Mine." He whispers. "All mine." He says this more often too. At passing moments as he steals a kiss from me in a closet, or in a deserted hall. Or simply in public. It's all, mine, mine, mine.

I pull back. "You can't keep stopping me for this. Especially in public. Two maids have already passed by."

He fumbles with the buttons of my shirt. "I don't care if they see. I need you."

It takes all my willpower, but I shove his hand away. "What's the point of having a tutor when you can't even get through one interrupted session? And you have work. Your council members are hounding me, telling me to remind you to stay focused."

"I'll do it, I'll do it." He drags his canines along my neck. "After."

"After what?" His eyes meet mine. They're intensely yellow and sometimes it frightens me. "No, I'm not sleeping with you. Especially not in an open hallway."

He groans. "You're fucking killing me here." I peel myself out of his grip. I take in deep gulps of air until my head stops spinning.

"Well, sorry. There are girls you can pay for this sort of thing."