CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: Confessions

It was a cool Saturday morning when Lira dragged a flabbergasted Ian out of the mess hall and in to the garden, a piece of toast still clasped between his lips.

"Ian, I need to ask two favors from you," she said.

Ian raised his brows. "Okay, tell me."

"I need you to teach me how to use my—uh—abilities."

"I can do that. What's the other favor?"

"I will tell you the other one after you taught me how to use my powers," she answered.

Ian eyed her suspiciously. "I have a bad feeling about this."

"Ian, it's me," she said, pointing a finger at her chest for emphasis, "the sensible one, remember? I will not do anything reckless without justifiable cause."

Ian crossed his arms, still looking doubtful.

"You said you will help me muster my powers. You even said you'd protect me. Were those merely empty promises?" she said. After she had finished reading her mother's journal last night, she still hadn't found any clues as to why the prince had ordered to kill her. So she planned to ask the prince himself. That's why she needed to know how to use some of her hidden abilities—to protect herself if ever her plan would fail.

Ian looked torn and helpless. "Of course what I said was true! I intended to do that. You're my lady Diwata—I am your servant—"

Lira shook her head to cut him off. "No Ian, you are not my servant—you are my very best friend, my loyal comrade, faithful to the three hoodlum sisters," she added the last one with a smile, thinking of Yumi and Mari. "I asked this of you as a friend. Please help me."

Ian sighed with resignation. "Alright, I will teach you. Just promise me don't do anything stupid; at least don't do it alone if you can't help it."

Lira smiled. "I won't. Promise."

Ian began teaching her the basics. He told her how to channel her thoughts and energy to her surroundings. The plants, he said, could also hear, feel and understand like other living things. She merely needed to voice her thoughts and the plants would help her. If she became stronger, she could even command the nature itself: she could call for the rain, the thunderstorm, the wind—abilities the Diwata inherited from her goddess mother. She could also heal the wounded by channeling her energy to the wounded. However, as what Ian explained, by doing so would weaken her as her energy would also deplete.

After a few attempts, Lira was able to ask the sunflower to bend. After several more, she could now whisper a command to the trees and vines and all the flowering plants around her. She even became aware of the plants' feelings as well—she could feel if a plant was thirsty for water or if it seeks the sun's ray. She gave peals of laughter and fell on her knees, fervently thanking Ian and the plants around her. The sunflowers, roses and the rest of the flowers swayed; equally glad they were able to help her.

"So what is the other favor?" Ian asked.

Lira gave her friend a determined look. "Ian, you're my dearest friend and I'll understand if you will refuse this—I won't hold it against you. I need to visit my mother's killer. Will you go with me to the vampire lair and see Prince Philip Imperial?"

Ian looked uncertain as he stood outside the magnanimous mansion later that evening with Lira on his side looking firmly resolved with her upcoming task. "Lira, I'm not so sure about this, but what the heck, we're here now. I can protect you more in my elf form."

Lira shook her head. "We don't want to alarm the rest of the vampires. If they'll see you in your full awesomeness elven warrior physique with your cute pointy ears, they might think you pose a threat."