3.1 Fire and Ice

In case I was wrong about my family having dinner with the mayor, I parked my car down the street and Van, Dorian, and I walked the rest of the way to the mansion. I punched in the security code and the tall wrought iron gates swung open, allowing us access to the winding drive leading to the front door.

"You know you don't have to do this," said Dorian, watching as I fit my key in the lock.

"Of course I do. If we're right then Opal has the painting--and that's my fault." 

The others followed me into the foyer; Vanida offered to stay behind and keep watch.

"Thank you," I signed back. "Text me if you see anything."

Van nodded. "I got this. Hurry up."

As she took her place by foyer window's gauzy curtains, Dorian followed me to the third floor. He stopped me just outside the ornate oaken door leading to Jeff's office.

"What you said before--you're wrong, Amelia. This isn't your fault. You're the first person I've trusted in quite some time. I don't regret that."

"I do." I tried to smile back and failed. Reaching in my bun, I removed a bobby pin and set to work unlocking the door.

As we ransacked Jeff's lavish, immaculate office, we did our best to leave no trace of our thievery

"We're looking for anything that contains addresses," I said, rummaging through Jeffrey's desk as Dorian snooped through the book cases. "If my stepfather is as thorough as I know him to be, he'll have records of all his donors."

"Perhaps he stores them on the machine," Dorian replied, motioning at Jeff's laptop. "Shall we?"

"We shall." I took a seat at the desk, sighing at the screen. "Except I don't know the password."

"Well, if he's as basic as the canapés served at the fundraiser it shouldn't be that complicated." Dorian grinned.

"Let's start with his favorite sports..."

I ran down the list. When those didn't work, I switched to foods and important dates. Soon enough, I was out of options.

"Damn. The only thing left I can think of are birthdays."

"Worth a shot," said Dorian, peering over my shoulder at the screen.

I tried Mom's first, then Alessa's, then Jeffrey's.

"This isn't working." I rubbed my eyes with my palms.

"Have you tried your birthday?"

I scoffed. "There's no way. But we need that painting, so..." I punched in the numbers, waiting with bated breath... "Oh my god! We're in!"

"You sound surprised."

"Guess I kinda am. Jeff and I, we don't always see eye-to-eye."

"Perhaps you don't have to. Perhaps you need only see each other."