9.2 Chains and Anchors

Considering their strong feelings of hatred, it was rare for Dorian and his demon to be in the same place at the same time. Today, they made an exception.

I stood between Dorian and his demon, looking on as the twilight sun cast the last of its golden rays across the smoking wreckage of Salt by the Sea. Even if we started over, it would never be the same. I was just glad Miriam wasn't here to see the damage, damage I had caused. 

"We'll rebuild," said Dark Dorian, as if he could read my thoughts. "Better than before."

"But that's not the point, is it? Elijah and Danny--they're hurt, because we were selfish. Things got out of hand. Even if we rebuild, Salt by the Sea will never be what it was." And neither would I.

"Nor will Elijah and Danny," said Dorian. 

"They haven't finished with us," I replied, arms folded. "When Elijah finds out you're not dead..." I shook my head. "We can get through to Danny, maybe, but his brother... I don't think he'll ever stop. Trapping Elijah is the only way to fix this. I just hope Danny understands."

"He won't," said the twins, speaking in unison.

"And then what happens?" said Dorian. "When you've stopped Elijah and there's no one left but us?" He glanced over my head, returning Dark Dorian's glare.

"I have a plan for that too." I exhaled as I turned to face them. "I just hope it works."

"You mean the plan that's so bollocks you won't even tell us about it?" Dark Dorian snorted. 

"If I told you, you'd try to stop me--and that can't happen," I said firmly. "But it's for the best. And I think this way, we'll all finally get what we want. Even you, Mr. Darkwater."

"Then I suppose I'll just have to trust you--for once." He smiled, and for the first time, I actually believed in it.

Knowing that Dark Dorian was no longer the star of my nightmares, that I was just as safe with him as I was the real Dorian, I took down my dreamcatcher and put it away, saving it for the next disaster

Knowing that Dark Dorian was no longer the star of my nightmares, that I was just as safe with him as I was the real Dorian, I took down my dreamcatcher and put it away, saving it for the next disaster. As I climbed into bed and pulled up the covers, the details of my plan turned over and over in my head. None of it would be possible if it hadn't been for Genesee, and the gift hidden under my bed. To use it would be dangerous, to use it might mean the end of life the way I knew it... But what choice did I have?

I turned on my side, staring at my newest painting where it leaned against the wall, covered by a white cloth soaked in shadows. A consolation prize. I just hoped Danny would forgive me someday.

I yawned, eyes fluttering, and hoped for a better tomorrow as I drifted on the waves to sleep...