CHAPTER 22 - THE UNFORGETTABLE

James' POV...

We were all in the dining room having breakfast. I decided to sleep at my parents' house after yesterday's event. I was really consumed last night by too much alcohol. I didn't realize I had drunk a good amount of whiskey... ouch! My head! Yeah... every now and then my head strum in pain. I needed to get off from the hangover... Hmmm... why is everybody silent? The morning breeze was sending peculiar charge in my already crushing brain like I was being thrown to a verdugo pestling unmercifully my head into powder.

I looked at them while eating. My mom reading a magazine while chewing her favorite apple pie... my dad was sipping his hot cup of coffee while reading his morning newspaper. I continued chewing what I have in my plate while giving them another studying glance... still no one was talking. What's with them? I sensed that something was up... to explode, I hoped not. I drank the cold lemonade and started for a talk.

"I think I can't come to office today. I am not in my best shape and I need to take some rest so I can get myself ready for an afternoon meeting with Mr. Duval. We have some important business matter to tackle that would require much of my attention. He was in extreme need for a support."

"It is Saturday son... why not cancel your meeting and make it up on Monday? It is hard to keep focus if you know you aren't feeling well and you feigned your mind to be hale and healthy. It's better you take the whole day to rest and you never have to worry about the office work. You have your assistant and she definitely knows how to manage. It's not the first time you will be leaving her with a pile of paper works, right?"

My dad replied without even looking at me.

"I am really glad that she is a very responsible one. She knows what she's doing. It would be a great mishap if we lose her. She is half a fortune. I am afraid someone else would come to her and offer more opportunity for her professional advancement given that yesterday she was the center of attraction to our mergers."

My mom seconded and looked at my father. Her words were wrapped tightly with an underlying insinuation that my senses can utterly apprehend. She was cooking up to something I know my presence is involved.

If that was about me and my assistant, I can't remember a time I caused her any professional hustle. Okay, I did one time but it has nothing to do with her performance in my office. That was just a petty reprisal approach to defend my pride from her inadmissible surmise of me.

What have I done this time?

"That is why we are lucky to have that young lady. She is precise in her duty and she completely takes it seriously no matter how much you pile her up with things. Yesterday I danced with her and told how she reminded me of Elliana when we threw a party on her debut. She almost cried and said she misses her parents. What a sweet child!"

"Yes... indeed she is sweet Tom. She is not the type to be taken for granted. She deserves all the best treatment. You have no idea how much I was contained with awe the very moment when I saw how she faultlessly fit in her dress. Beautiful, innocent, elegant and smart... she's amazing! She real--"

"Mom, aren't you exaggerating? She must be just the same as any employee we have in our company. In what yardstick you pinned her features that it made queer she was the only one you picked with too much liking? And remember the policy... no favoritism ever allowed! So don't give her special treatment. Others may look at it and may cause trouble. You know how we keep establishing good rapport to our people and we take it seriously with pride."

I was irritated by the way how my mom had described my assistant. I couldn't think of any juncture when she had allotted so much of her fondness to one of our subordinates. We handle all of them in an equally exceptional manner giving high regard to their own unique abilities as they contribute to the success of our empire. We reciprocate genuine empathy without putting deep emotional attachment to each of them as to conform with the policy of abolishing inequality and nepotism. So why is it all of a sudden she began to give this particular lady with so much reverence? She's not a queen in all her glory! Then I remember that very first day. I really didn't get enough time to look at her because she suddenly howled and rushed out after she misconceived me as someone asking for her number.