𝐯. CAPTURE THE FLAG

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER FIVE ▬▬▬▬▬

SHE WAS HAVING ANOTHER WEIRD dream. Like the previous one, she was a baby again and her father was with her. 

"Alright, Essie," she heard him say. He sounded the same as last time: far away and muffled, but she could hear the pure exhaustion in his voice. Could gods get exhausted? "How about you try some squash, yes? You like squash, don't you? Say 'ahhh'... Essie, please say 'ah'..."

She most certainly did not want to say 'ah'. She wanted him to hold her and take her away from the scary snake lady that she saw outside their house.

Wait, what? She thought in alarm. Where did that thought even come from? Why was there even a dracaena outside her house?

...And why couldn't her father sense it?

Her mouth opened without her control. She let out a loud, piercing wail. She beat her tiny fists against the table, terror running through her veins. The snake lady was just outside their house. She wanted to leave. Why couldn't her daddy sense it and get them out of there

There was a loud crash. Like the sound of glass shattering. The blurry figure dropped the spoon he was holding and whirled around. He whipped something out of his pocket.

"Shit, not again—!" He cursed as something bright shot out from his hand.

The dream ended there and she shot up with a gasp.

"You okay?" Lyra asked, staring at her with wide eyes. She was folding up her sleeping bag and looked dressed for the day to begin.

"I... I..." Esmerelda struggled to form words and get her thoughts straight. "Sorry, I just had the weirdest dream."

If it was possible, Lyra's eyes widened some more. "You should take them seriously. Demigod dreams are real things. They're usually like visions... They have meaning."

"Mine wasn't really a vision, per say. I'm pretty sure it already happened. I dreamt of when I was a baby and my dad..."

"You... your dad was with you? Your godly parent?" She asked.

Esmerelda nodded. "He was trying to get me to eat, but there was a dracaena and... I didn't see what happened next. I couldn't even see what my dad looked like. He's always blurry..."

"You're lucky," Lyra said with obvious envy in her voice. "Your godly parent actually tried to take care of you. You actually met him... I'd give anything to meet my mother."

"But he still won't claim me." She said, frowning miserably. Her dad seemed to care a great deal for her since it was completely unheard of for godly parents to even be in the same vicinity of their kids after they were born. But that still didn't explain why he wouldn't claim her. He cared, so why would he make her feel like an unwanted leftover?