𝐯𝐢𝐢. EXECUTION

▬▬▬▬▬ CHAPTER SEVEN ▬▬▬▬▬

"EVERYONE RETURN TO YOUR CABINS immediately." Chiron said. "Now, please."

The campers sent glances at each other full of confusion and worry, some of which was sent to Esmerelda, who had yet to move an inch.

Ethan gingerly touched her arm. "Essie?" He said quietly.

"She won't be going anywhere," Mr. D said. He and Chiron were standing beside table eleven now. Both were staring grimly at newly claimed daughter of Hecate.

"We need to speak with her, Ethan. It's of dire importance, so if you would please return to your cabin with everyone else." Chiron requested kindly.

Ethan gave his best friend one last worried stare before hesitantly walking away with the rest of the Hermes campers, all of which were giving Esmerelda concerned looks too.

"Please follow us, Esmerelda. We'll be talking in the Big House." Chiron said. The warmth in his eyes was gone and he was looking at her as if she was already laying on her deathbed.

Wordlessly, she nodded. She trailed after the them numbly, her mind trying to comprehend what had just happened. She had been claimed. By Hecate. And this entire time she thought her dad had been the godly one. It was her mother all along.

That explains why he was actually around when I was a baby. But who was the woman who gave me up to foster care? Was that my mom? Was that Hecate? And... and why are people making a big deal out of this? She had always prayed and prayed for her godly parent to claim her, because she knew it would become one of the greatest days of her life. But now she just felt dread.

She had been claimed by Hecate. And there was something wrong with that. She just couldn't pinpoint what it was. Though she had a feeling she'd find out soon.

They didn't stop until they entered the Big House's rec room, which was where all the council meetings were held. It was also the room where she first watched the orientation film.

"Take a seat." Chiron said kindly, pulling a chair back for her.

She stared at it like it was an electric chair, but sat down anyways. Her stomach was doing a bunch of loops and she felt dangerously close to throwing up.

Something terrible was going on, and all she knew was that she was the reason for it. The gods were angry. What was going to happen to her? She shrunk into herself in the chair she sat on as her mind worked furiously against her, thinking what did I do wrong?, what are they going to do to me?, and I don't feel good, I'm gonna throw up!.

"The gods are very displeased." Chiron began.

Mr. D scoffed. "Displeased? They're more than displeased Chiron. They're furious that Hecate went around and made another... that!" He pointed at her.

"I don't understand..." She said nervously. "I-I'm not the only child of Hecate, so why...?"

"You're much more different than you're half-siblings, Esmerelda." Chiron said quietly. "Your father was a mortal, yes, but he was a special kind of mortal."

"A witch?" She asked.

"Wizard, actually." He corrected.

"So it's true then," Mr. D narrowed his eyes at her and she tried not to shrink any more. She could feel herself growing crazy under his stare. "You've already been told. Father mentioned an unknown presence entering the camp, and I admit I felt it too but couldn't be bothered to check it out. He and the gods watched everything that happened between you and that Professor What's-Her-Face."