Chapter Six • Questions

Trigger Warning

Content includes sexual assualt and violence. Read at own will.

-Jade-

He had given her a name... Finally!

William... She thought to herself. It was a beautiful name. Jade thought it sounded like the name of a kind person. That didn't necessarily mean that he was kind... Nevertheless, it made him more human and not so terrifying and untouchable.

"What are you?" Jade asked curiously. William eyes narrowed in confusion. "I mean, what is your title? King? Prince?" She specified. 

"Why are you so eager to know what title I hold? Does it matter?" William asked her in return. Apart from sounding confused, he also sounded a bit annoyed. "It has nothing to do with us. Not yet at least." He muttered.

Jade thought she could hear a hint of bitterness in his voice. "So you're a prince..."She said, pleased that he gave it away himself.

"I did not say that." He objected sharply. It caused her to look at him. His frustration brought a faint smirk out of her. 

"Only someone who wants something - like his father's throne - can sound as bitter as you do." She chuckled. "I assume that my title will be given to me after we are married? Will my coronation take place after the wedding ceremony?"

"For a farmer's daughter, you seem very interested in how royals do things. Whom, might I add, hasn't acted like she wants to be a part of it. At all." He answered in a snide remark. "And I am not bitter." He added. "My parents are still alive, so neither you nor I, can be crowned queen or king until my father's demise."

"So... You're still going to marry me?" Jade asked and stared at him in disbelief. "You're going to be a prince, and I will be... What? Your low class wife? Your kingdom will have a prince that is married to a person of nothing?"

"You have established that you are of a lower class than me. It is not something you need to inform me of. I am well aware of it." He said and leaned back again.

Jade couldn't understand how this was going to work. How could he consider marrying a girl like her? Had he not considered that their would make a mockery out of him? A prince marring a farmer's daughter? Did he know how this would affect her? No one would ever accept her! She would be an outcast for the rest of her miserable life!

"But why?" She picked the question that filled her mind like a thick fog. It was probably the hardest one to answer. There was a hundred questions going through her mind but this one was the only one she wanted an answer to right now. "Why don't you just marry a princess or someone else... more fitting? A nobleman's or some lord's daughter is undoubtedly sitting with her needlework right now, waiting for you. How did you even find me?" The questions poured out of her and it just dawned on her that the driver could hear every word they said.

"My Lord, woman! Does your questions never end?" William exclaimed agitated. Clearly, exhausted by the amount of questions she had thrown his way. "I am not discussing the reason why I chose you. It is what it is, and I would greatly appreciate it if you just let it be."

"I wish you'd tell me... I hope you tell me one day..." She said, relieved that their conversation seemed to come to an end. She did not wish to talk to him anymore.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because it would be interesting to know why a prince wants me as his wife..." Jade answered. "A prince who chose a farmer's daughter..." She said, mocking him with a poetic tone to her voice.