Ch 20: Gone Awry

It had been a week since the kiss. The week had been fruitfully spent avoiding Joe (or anyone except Hans and Elise for that matter). I worked on a few carvings some of which I begrudgingly made out of some wood Ross had bought me used specifically for carving. It must have been his way around my "no cash donations" policy but I made it very clear he could only get so far before I'd stop accepting his "gifts" altogether. It's like he wanted me to know he had money to throw around. Hans disagreed with this assertion, calling my view unnecessarily cynical but Hans, for an omega who had dealt with some awful alphas, seemed too forgiving. He wasn't as naive as I occasionally thought he was but he had a tendency to see the best in others, a tendency that was anathema to my general philosophy when dealing with alphas. 

Besides the carvings and Hans, I had Elise to look forward to. She would be out of the hospital very soon. None of the burns were severe but she had broken an arm trying to frantically escape the flames. I visited her every other day, usually under the watchful eye of Misha. I'd gotten used to his silent presence in the background and I suppose we had reached some sort of unspoken but amicable agreement with his serving me recipes at dinner he would often mention he had wanted me to try. 

I wasn't sure what his game was. He was obviously happy with Ross and Joe and even Hans. He had made it very clear once before that we meant nothing. I was a  cover-up story to find out more about Seraz. 

Guilt perhaps? Pity? Those seemed like more reasonable options then him actually caring. 

"You're a born and true cynic. Just like your mother taught you," Elise joked when I went to visit her that particular Saturday. I laughed and thought fondly of my mother. We were eerily alike in demeanor and thought. The world was just one big shit show but at least we had our family and friends.

I took the time to ask her about the plans for the mechanic shop. Her dad was already planning out some repairs. 

"We got insurance. Besides, we needed the renovation. We could finally get you a nice little studio attached for carving and stuff."

I nodded. The idea of selling my art wasn't too appealing. I still stubbornly hung to my philosophy. 

A few were words were exchanged  before my visiting hours were finally up. We said our goodbyes, and I went to find Misha in the waiting room, reading a book and looking relaxed. I took the quick few seconds before he saw me to observe him.

Misha had been driving me to and from the hospital for the entire week. He hadn't once complained or turned me down and seemed content with waiting and giving us our privacy. The book was some history book on the Balkans, an interest I remembered Misha had been fond of. How much had he pretended? I assumed most of the things I knew about him were false and intricately constructed for a cover identity. The cooking, the enjoyment for history, and even the usually calm and quiet demeanor hadn't changed. Still, I didn't get any hopes up that that meant anything.

"Ready to go?" Misha looked up as I stalked over. Misha nodded. As he stood up, there was a commotion behind us at the reception desk. 

"...Sick for a week! We've called and we've called....!"

I glanced over as Misha started to put on his black corduroy jacket. It was a woman, pink in the face and with her hair falling out of her bun. A sickly pale child was at her side, clutching her floral skirt tightly as he looked around. 

I was ready to tune it out until I caught the next few words. "The alpha got priority on the waiting list! My child could be dying!" She was shrieking at this point, loud enough for the rest of the waiting room to hear. A chubby, middle-aged beta woman glanced over with disapproval. A few young delta men and a gamma nurse looked on with sympathy. The tired receptionist sighed.