Chapter 7

Kent Estate

"Your Grace, how exactly is your plan going to work again?"

William was standing in Elijah's quarters, listening to The Duchess's plan of throwing a masquerade ball this evening. She's convinced that, since William and Elijah both look similar, it will be the best way to not raise suspicion. William had his doubts about this plan. He did not speak like a duke, or even know how to behave like one.

"Yes, William. They won't be able to tell that you are not Elijah. This will help not raise suspicions if no one sees him for the rest of the day. The snow storm seems to be passing, so at first light you can go and look for him. Then this whole mess will be over."

The Duchess continued to pace back and forth as she rubbed her hands together. "Just stay in here until the ball. I will take care of getting your outfit ready and making sure no one disturbs you."

The Duchess left the room and William stared at the closed doors with confusion. He had no idea how he was going to pull this off. He ran a hand through his hair as he started taking a look around Elijah's quarters. He's been in here before, but he never actually spent this much time in it.

He was looking through Elijah's closet to see if there were any that would help fool everyone. That's when he noticed a box tucked away in the corner. Curious, he opened it and found multiple letters.

He opened the first one and his heart nearly stopped as he started to read it:

Father,

It has been 4 months since you left us. Left me. It has been more difficult so that I can put into words; trying to be the man you were. Mother is insisting that I agree to an arranged marriage to Lady Elizabeth of Sussex. I met her on one occasion and, even though she is lovely, this does not feel right to me. What should I do, father? I miss your guidance.

Elijah

Williams heart started to pound faster in his chest as he pulled out another letter.

Father,

Today is December 19th. Mother has planned this arranged marriage for Christmas Day. I am growing more troubled as it gets closer. I find that I cannot sleep at night and I cannot think clearly during the day. As of late, it feels that I am living the life of a stranger. I know I lived my youth somewhat adventurously, but this... It's not right. I wish you were here to tell me what to do. Or to at least tell me why this is what I must do. Mother keeps telling me it's about duty and honor. While I believe Duty and honor are two of the most important things to uphold, I find that I am longing for more. I want to spend the rest of my life with someone who sees me, Elijah, and not the Duke of Kent. Is this possible, Father?

Elijah

William's hands shook as he put the letter in the box and closed it, returning the box to its resting place. He knew his best friend was troubled, but this...This was worse than he imagined. William let out a long breath as he realized that he could not let Elijah marry Lady Elizabeth.