25 | time travel test #1

chapter xxv of the death season :

" YOU KNOW BOI'S GOT HIS FREE TACO— "

╓───────────────────╖
" That shield doesn't belong to you.
You don't deserve it. "
╙───────────────────╜

january 25th, 2023
avengers compound

" HERE WE GO: TIME TRAVEL TEST #1 ! "

A small crew of the remaining Avengers and a couple of extras stands in the air hangar of the Avengers compound.

Professor Hulk, as Laurie has decided to call the somewhat short yet much more dignified version of Bruce Banner and the Hulk, stands near the control board.

"Scott!" Professor Hulk says, "Fire up the, uh, the van thing."

The twenty-three year old scoffs, popping her hip out and resting her hand on it, "The van-thing's name is Hercules."

"Oh, um, I beg your pardon."

Laurie's eyes widen in surprise at how well the man takes this. She expected... well, the usual reactions she gets to her tomfoolery. Annoyance. Anger. General dislike. But not from Bruce Banner.

She smiles a little, now embarrassed, "Pardon begged."

Bruce laughs a little, shaking his head.

"Breakers are set. Emergency generators are on standby."

"Good! Because if we blow the grid, I don't wanna lose, uh," his voice drops a couple octaves and he mumbles still loud enough for everybody to very clearly hear, "Tiny here in the 1950s."

"Say what...?" Laurie blurts just as Scott cautiously asks, "Excuse me?"

"He's kidding!" Natasha sings and nonchalantly grins up at Bruce, "You can't say things like that!"

"It was.... just a bad joke..." Hulk-Bruce stumbles over his words, glancing around rather shiftily if Laurie does say so herself.

The father and daughter slowly glance at each other.

"Sounds fake but okay..." Laurie squints as they slowly turn and walk back away towards Hercules, the ugly brown van.

As soon as they're far enough away, Natasha's voice drops and she quickly leans closer, "You were kidding, right?"

"I have no idea!" The extra big and green Bruce cries, "We're talking about time travel here, either it's all a joke or none of it is!" He then suddenly whirls around with a big smile and a big thumbs up, "We're good! Put your helmet on!"

Laurie grins as she drops the helmet over her pop's head, loudly smacking each side with the plams of her hands, "Good luck, pal! Bring me back something swinging and don't forget to come back to the future, okay?"

"You got it, Monkey." He sturdily nods back.

"Scott, I'm gonna send you back a week, let you walk an hour and bring you back in ten seconds. Make sense?"

Scott casually waves off the concern, "Perfectly non-confusing!"

"Good luck, Scott." Steve nods, looking so very serious, "You got this."

"You're right." Scott puts on a great big grin, "I do, Captain America!"

And then, with the help of Bruce, Hercules zaps to life and Scott's body shrinks until he disappears far into the unknown.