Chapter Fourteen

Isla was so lost in thought that she didn't hear Stevie talking to her. "Earth to Isla!" Stevie exclaimed. "What? I'm sorry, Stevie. What were you saying?" Steve sat next to her best friend on the locker room bench now that they were fully dressed and ready for Gym. "I said, do you think that Grey and Paxton know they might be your mates?" Isla had informed Stevie of everything once she was sure Paxton had gone to his next class after Math and was out of earshot.

"I know that Grey suspects it. Well, I think his wolf does. As for Paxton, I'm sure he has an inkling I mean I've dreamed about that boy since we were 13. This is just a mess, Stevie. How can I possibly have two mates? I know that's the reason they have their powers on campus. It just has to be, right? We have to be mates." Stevie could feel the anxiety rolling off of her best friend. "I'm sure Paxton will accept me, but Grey hates me and I know he'll reject me. What will that mean for me? Will Paxton be mad that I have two mates? Will I be able to-" Stevie placed her hand over her best friend's mouth. "I need you to breathe."

Isla knew Stevie was right. She hadn't felt like she had taken a breath since Nona mentioned Petra and Paxton. When Stevie was sure Isla had collected herself she removed her hand. "Are you alright?" Stevie inquired before they got up to enter the gymnasium. "I will be," Isla smiled. "But if you ever put your nasty hands on my mouth or face again, I'll kill you!" They both chuckled as they entered the gym before Isla grabbed Stevie's arm. "That's him," she motioned over to the tan boy with wavy long hair and a scowl directed at Isla. "That's Grey." She quietly whispered certain that he could hear everything.

"Isla, he is sexy as fu-" It was Isla's turn to cover her best friend's mouth. "He can hear everything you're saying." Isla warned as Stevie remembered the events described in the cafeteria and how Isla gave her potential mates their powers even on hollowed grounds. "My bad." Stevie smiled awkwardly.

Grey laughed at Isla's friend. She seemed fun and he liked that she wasn't a witch or supernatural at all. It was impressive that she didn't just hang around witches. 'So, you like that she's diverse with her friend group, but you want to cling to the pack and solely the pack," Riel scoffed. 'It's different for us. We are wolves and a made to be in a pack," Grey defended. 'You have a new pack now. Isla is our pack and yet you continue to ignore her.' Grey wasn't in the mood to argue with Riel. He found out that at school normally wolves couldn't talk or come out. That link was suppressed by the spell cast when the school was first built by a Devereux witch. He wished now that was the case, but he realized since Isla was near him his powers were in full effect.

"Is this seat taken?" Grey looked up at the red head girl that was clearly trying to flirt with him as she batted her lashes. "You can sit wherever you want," he retorted gruffer than expected. "I'm Selah," she smiled taking a close seat next to him. "You're Grey Lowe," Grey looked at her as she placed a hand on his arm. "Everyone kind of knows who you are since this is a small town." Riel growled in his mind at the small caresses being made on his arm. He was going to say something, but he felt a slight shift in the atmosphere. When he looked up Isla was staring directly at them and she looked enraged.

"Isla, I need you to breathe," Stevie pleaded, but nothing was working. In that moment the ground began to shake. Students screamed as they made their way off the bleachers. "Isla, you have to stop. You're going to hurt yourself or someone else." Stevie screamed. The possibility of hurting someone was enough to snap her back to reality. "I'm so sorry." Isla cried not knowing what came over her. "I don't know what happened." Stevie sighed. "I do," she motioned over at the still seated Grey who seemed to be watching her with careful eyes. "Selah the slut was all over him and I guess your whole mate thing made you go bonkers." Isla didn't want to think about it. "Yeah, I guess." Stevie intertwined their arms and walked the track with her best friend talking about any and everything that would get her mind off her current dilemmas.