17

"Up until about a month ago my alpha was Esme's body guard. They were bonded. Esme released the bond when the old alpha requested Areon to return to the pack and take up his responsibilities as alpha." Benjamin stops talking long enough to regain control of his emotions.

"She didn't have to do that. Areon could have returned home with it still in place, but it would have left the pack vulnerable since he would be should anything happen to Esme. Lord Jesse didn't want to release him from the bond. Esme knew that he needed to be released or it would harm the pack.

"But after seven years of serving Esme, they had grown very close. My alpha loves Esme like a little sister and will be very unhappy about this. He might even demand my life."

The king narrows his eyes, "If your alpha had been bound to Esme, is it?" At Benjamin's nod the king continues, "if he had been bound then are you not bound as well?"

Benjamin stands there in shock. When he finds his voice,  "I am. I should have died when her heart stopped beating."

Neither of the men had noticed the silent entry of the vampires. "Her heart had stopped but she still lived. Or should I say, she still lives. She's awake and asking for you Benjamin. She is not really in the mood to be around the rest of us right now." Jesse looks exhausted, but more than that, he looks guilty and heartbroken. Benjamin takes one look at Jesse and shakes his head before taking off to see his mistress.

"Thank you father, I have no doubt that if you hadn't of been here that Esme would be dead and you would have four ancient vampires out in the world wreaking havoc."

"It is the least I could do, especially since I am the reason that witch bitch was able to enspell your brothers and you. I can't apologize enough for that." The king says heavily. If there is anything he can do to destroy his relationship with his son he seems to find it.

"It wasn't your fault that that idiot didn't tell you that he found his mate." A soft sweet voice says from the doorway. "Would it be alright for me to enter your majesty?"

At her first word Jesse stiffens as if bracing for a hit.

The king turns his attention from his son to his mate and back again. "Of course you are most welcome. You and all your mates." The king says spying his son's brothers lined up behind her.

"I told Benjamin to summon Areon. He deserves to know what happened as soon as possible." Esme tells Jesse.

Jesse doesn't say anything, he just nods his head miserably.

"You promised you would return in a week." Esme tells her mate.

The king goes to speak once more and Esme holds her hand up to stop him. Amazing himself the king finds himself closing his mouth without saying a word.

"Every time I tried to get away the king would order me to stay longer. Each time throwing a different female in my way."

"So why the fuck didn't you tell him that you already have a mate?" Esme demands from Jesse.

"I didn't want him here interfering in our lives." Jesse tells her with tears in his eyes. Because of his stupid decision he almost lost Esme permanently.

"Yet, if he hadn't of been here you would have lost me even if removing the mate marks wouldn't have. I was leaving and never wanted to see you or the others ever again." This time she looks at the others who did what they could to avoid her gaze. They know that their actions hurt her. They had felt her pain and did nothing to stop it.

"Yes, fuck, Esme, you deserve far better than us. You've been so hurt all your life. You deserve to find someone that won't hurt you again." Jesse says and sweeps an ornament from the fireplace mantle.

"Don't you dare destroy this room Jesse! I took several trips to different villages to find the perfect items for this room. I have no desire to do that again, especially since it will be far more painful for me to do so this time."

At her words Jesse freezes. "Oh, fuck, what have I done to you?" He collapses as the pain of his decision hits him.

The king stares at him in disbelief. Jesse is shattered. He looks at Carlo and sees that he's no better than Jesse. Santo and Desanto are just slightly better. "What the hell did you do to them girl?" 

At the king's awed words Esme turns her attention to the king. "I just said that it would hurt me to go shopping this time. They merely realized that the changes being turned made in me. I'm sure that once they get over the shock they will realize the advantages of my change as I do."

The king shakes his head trying to understand this firebrand that is his son's mate. "What advantages are you talking about?"

The king isn't so sure that drawing her attention was the smart thing to do.  "The first one that comes to mind is that I won't be growing old."

"You won't be having children either," Jesse's bitter voice breaks in.

Esme shrugs. "Once I fell in love with four vampires I didn't ever expect to have children."

Jesse looks at Esme still more than a little shocked. "You aren't upset?"

"About that?" Esme questions and at his nod she shakes her head, "Naw, after the experience I had growing up I have no idea how to be a good mother. I'm too afraid I'd hurt the child."

"What other advantages do you see being a vampire, Esme?" The king asks softly not wanting his son to look at him with hate.

"I'm not as easily harmed or killed. Benjamin or if Areon has time to come can teach me how to defend myself against all the supernatural creatures. You won't have to worry as much about me." Esme says but her voice trails off as Jesse comes up to her and pulls her into his arms. She doesn't fight him. 

As Jesse trails kisses down her face she closes her eyes and enjoys the feeling it invokes. "I will always worry about you. My brothers will always worry about you, no matter how well trained you are. You are our heart. Should you die then so would we," Jesse gets a wicked smile on his face as he gives his father a sly look as he continues, "but not before going on a killing spree that would leave a swath of death miles long."

Then he stops speaking and takes her mouth with his. Suddenly he isn't the only one kissing her as the others surround her and start kissing her neck and face.

The king clears his throat and says acidly, "I'll leave if you would be more comfortable not having me here."

At his words the boys take a half step back and stop their seduction.

He's fully expecting the look promising death from Jesse but is pleasantly surprised by the amused look Esme gives him and the wink.

"Now that you all are paying attention, would someone like to introduce me to the lovely lady that has stolen not just Jesse's heart but that of all of you?"