Chapter 36

Kaelah

"Ajarie wake up" I said walking in the kitchen. Ajarie was leaned against the counter sleep, standing up, facing the microwave.

"I'm up"

"You're not Jarie. I can watch Malani if you are tired" I said taking Malani out her arms. I took the bottle out the microwave and started making a new one because aint no telling how long the previous bottle was in the microwave.

"I haven't seen her in a week Kae. I didn't think that this was going to be my life man. I just keep hearing QJ's voice playing in my head. 'Jarie you can do it. You can cheer and play basketball and be a mom. You can have a life while dreaming. Keep going'" I felt my eyes water slightly as I began to shake the bottle.

One thing about my brother is that he was always our motivator no matter what. We could get in a huge fight and he would still be there to motivate us.

"I remember once when I started cheering and I was mastering my skills, I could not get my back handspring. I tried and tried again and again. I just couldn't get it no matter how hard I tried. I literally sat on the cheer mat crying after practice and QJ came and picked me up" she paused to take a sniff. "He came and picked me up off that ground and he ran my back handsprings till I got it. We were so young" I looked down at Malani as I fed her

"There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about him. I literally smoke my problems away Jarie. I smoke and smoke and sleep and eat. I don't know how to function without him. My mom could give two shits about me. She went to her new job in Atlanta. Daddy is too far up auntie's ass to notice that his daughter is hurting. Zea is playing college ball away from us. What do we do?" I cried. "Your my favorite cousin, but mama.. You are a mommy to this beautiful little girl. You are one of the best tumblers I know. You shoot threes like they are second nature" she smiled. "I love you with all my heart, but please please notice me. It seems like ever since our parents got together, its been like I'm invisible walking through this house. I can't manage without you. You the only one I got left"

"Kaelah. I'm not going anywhere intentionally" she said taking Malani and burping her. "I love you Kae. Talk to me. I'm here and if I'm not, beat my ass till I get here. Do you understand?"

"I gotchu" she hugged me with one arm while I wiped my face from free falling tears. "By the way, my friend is going to come through. I know auntie is working and all, but we aint fucking or nothing we literally chilling"

"Alright then. I'll be in my room.. In the basement... Where I can't hear anything!" she said winking walking out the room. I shook my head and walking to the living room to wait for Jamir to pull up to the gate so I could buzz him in. He said he was on his way.

"Look at you all sober and shit" Jamir said as I let him in the house. We went to the den and sat down on the couch.

"I don't have to be high to be chill Jamir" I said pulling my knees to my chest.

"Alright Kaelah" he said looking over at me. "Wassup though? What you wanna do since you called me over here?"

"I wanna be around you. I vibe with your vibes so wassup" I said grabbing the remote. He nodded and I turned on netlifx. He reached over and snatched the remote.

"Lemme put you on a movie"

"Don't snatch from me Jamir" who does he think he is.

"The movie called What Happens to Monday. Its kinda weird but that shit fye" he said ignoring my statement. His eyes kinda lit up when he started telling me about the movie.

"Press play then Jamir" damn telling me bout the movie when he could just play the movie.

"Okay Kaelah" he said smirking. He threw the blanket behind his head at me. I rolled my eyes. How did he know I was cold?