Chapter 29: Dead In The Water

I yawned as I walked in the kitchen, stopping dead when I saw Drew and Dad eating breakfast together.

"'Morning, sis," greeted my brother, as he smiled and spread his arms open.

I rolled my eyes but I couldn't help the amusement off my face as I went to him and gave him a hug.

"Missed you, booger," he cooed, squeezing the life out of me. "Heard someone dropped you off yesterday."

I pulled away and raised an eyebrow at Dad, but he averted his eyes and sipped his coffee like he didn't just gossip with my brother.

"He's just a friend," I said, before going to the counter to get myself some coffee. Good thing I wasn't Pinocchio from repeating this lie too much.

"Since when have you been friends with Scout Crimson?" asked Drew, skeptical.

"Since he goes to the same university and we have a class together."

When I glanced at Drew, it was obvious he didn't buy it.

"He's also a pledge," I added. "And you know how small the Greek world is, since you forced me to it."

"Which house?"

"Alpha Alpha."

He whistled. "Such rep."

I shrugged a shoulder. "They're not so bad."

"It's growing on you, huh?" he teased, smirking.

I glared at him, and changed the subject. "I need to go buy some stuff for dinner. Are you going to drive me to the store?"

He nodded, grinning. "I'll get my keys."

Turning to Dad, I asked, "D'you want me to get you anything while we're there?"

"Nah, I'm good."

Without saying another word, I left the kitchen and met Drew out front.

"Where's your fiancée?" I asked, as soon as I was settled in the passenger seat of his SUV.

"Kate's family is having this huge dinner thing in Chicago," he answered, like it wasn't a big deal. "She actually wanted me to join them."

"So why are you here?"

He reached out and ruffled my hair. "Do you really have to ask me that?"

I made a face, before pulling away and staying far from his reach. "Ugh, why does everyone keep messing up my hair?"

Drew laughed as he put both of his hands back on the wheel. "You and Dad need me right now. She gets it."

"Drew, we're fine. You don't have to set aside your happiness for our sake."

"Trust me, I'm not setting aside my happiness. I just know when to prioritize." He paused. "Speaking of happiness... What's the real story between you and that Crimson kid?"

Yeah, like I'd tell him. He blabbed to Oz about me joining a sorority. He couldn't be trusted with this kind of information.

"We're friends," I simply said.

"You can say that shit a billion times and I still wouldn't believe you."

"Your call."

He shook his head, muttering something like, "Stubborn ass."

* * * * *

"Dad told me about Parents Weekend."

I pretended not to hear him, and continued pushing the cart down the aisle.