24 | Threat

Chapter Twenty Four: Threat

It's Monday and Stephanie isn't in a good mood because it's that time of the month. Yeah, mother nature has paid her a visit. And her parents are back to work, they left this morning. Their break is over. She doesn't even bother to make herself breakfast. When Brooke arrives, she leaves the house with her backpack and enters her car - her movements almost robotic.

"Hey," Brooke greets once Steph enters.

"Good morning," Steph grumbles, buckling her seatbelt, then placing her backpack on her lap. Brooke notices her countenance and knows almost immediately that something is wrong.

"What's wrong? Woke up on the wrong side of the bed?" Brooke says the last part jokingly in attempt to lighten the atmosphere. It does not work.

"Mother nature visited and I just have this feeling in my gut that today is gonna be a bad day."

"Don't be pessimistic and you're always cranky when aunt flow visits," Brooke points out.

"Whatever. Just drive us to that hell hole," Steph grunts and slumps in her seat.

Brooke chuckles lightly and ignites the engine.

Minutes later, they're heading for Brooke's locker.

"Cole suggested that the four of us go see a movie on Saturday since we couldn't see one the other day," Brooke says.

"Whatever," Steph groans again.

She isn't sure she wants to hang out with them again. She had a good time but she doesn't think it would be a good idea.
She's beginning to feel somehow about Luke and she doesn't like it.

Not one bit.

It started happening during their talk at the amusement park on Saturday. She found out how cool, funny and interesting he is.

Poison Ivy is one lucky bitch.

During the course of talking, she was getting fascinated by him. By the way he talks, his smile, his laugh that sounds like music to her ears and the way he purses his kissable lips when thinking.

Good gravy!

Now she sounds like Brody except that Brody's situation is different.
He likes Keeley; she doesn't like Luke.

Or does she? No, it isn't possible.

She has always thought he was cute and good looking but never liked him in that way. Though she got to know a little about him on Saturday, that doesn't mean she likes him, right? Is it possible to start to like someone just like that?
Absolutely not.

She's leaning on the locker next to Brooke's, busy thinking as she absentmindedly watches her.

"Hey Brooke."

Steph knows that voice.
The voice of the person that just kinda barged into her life.

"Chris," Brooke smirks, turning around to face him.

"Hazel," he gives her a subtle nod.

She's tired of correcting him about the name and trying to push him away. If he wants to be her friend, well, we'll see about that. And if he's trying to hook up with her - it won't happen. And besides, she's in no mood to start with him this awful morning.

So she sighs and answers, "Hi."
That surprises Chris while Brooke smirks, apparently enjoying the look on his face.

Chris stares at her in disbelief. She just answered without correcting him about the name. What happened to "don't call me that and what do you want?" He muses.
This is not want he expected.
So he decides to ask the safest question.