Chapter 19 - Kabir

The moment I stepped out into the sun I was sweating

The moment I stepped out into the sun I was sweating. I opened a couple of buttons on my shirt, usually keeping it buttoned up all the way.

"Oh deary me, my queen, are my eyes deceiving me or are you unbuttoning your shirt?" Dy murmured in my ear, tickling it.

I laughed and looked back up at her, simply by tipping my head up. She was towering over me, arching a brow at me. And then she smirked.

"It is very hot here," Barr said from beside me.

"Yeah, I reckon we need to buy new clothes." Dy had her sleeves rolled up and her shirt buttoned down lower than she used to. I wasn't complaining. She had really pretty collarbones.

We were greeted by the royal guard, all dressed in red and white. Their clothes were loose, probably to try and combat the heat. Their heads were covered by cloth to protect them from the sun and I envied them. They were also all wearing protective specs with brown tinted glasses.

One of the guards stepped forward, placing his hand on over his heart and bowed. He straightened and then said something I didn't understand.

Dy stepped forward, did the same greeting and replied in the same language. I was assuming it was Kabiran.

"They say, they'll escort us to our lodgings. We'll get some food and a bed if we need it. We're free to explore the city as their queen can't see us today."

"They're letting us wait," I said with a low voice.

"Huh?"

"It's a strategy. She's hoping it'll make us softer to trade with."

Dy frowned a little. "Well, there's nothing we can do to change it. We also have to stay polite."

"Yeah, this is what I was brought up to do," I muttered and followed the guards to the cars they had provided us.

Dy sat down on the seat beside me and off we went. The house was barely a house. It reminded me more of a castle. It was massive, made of white stone with the same red roof. In the middle there was a courtyard, the house stretched around it with balconies on the second floor, facing the little lake in the courtyard.

These very green plants were hanging off the railings on the balconies. The sound of water offered a very nice soothing atmosphere. Colourful birds I had never seen before walked around the courtyard, flashing their tails with eyes on them. It took me a second to realise they weren't actual eyes, but just looked like eyes.

"Now those are some pretty birds," Dy said and smiled down at me.

"So pretty."

"Show-offs," Barr muttered and softly ran his hand over Baby's head. "You're a dragon, Baby. Remember that. Much better than dumb birds."

Dy and I exchanged a glance before we were taken to our rooms. They were all on the upper floor, accessed by the balcony.

Dy and I got a room, while Huck and Barr got to share another. Aleks and Raakili got the third and last room.