Chapter 4: What Was That? (Angelas POV)

I sat there, just staring at the blade that was on the counter. I don't know why, I knew it meant that someone had been here recently, the blood on the knife was fresh, it was still wet. Maybe I was just over thinking it, it could very well be that.
I just had a feeling in my gut, not a good feeling. It never was, usually when I thought something might be happening, it tended to happen, just not in the way that I had expected. I was sitting in a chair, I quite comfortable chair if I must say so myself.
I looked at the guy that was with me, he was bored, I didn't blame him. I usually just sat around and slowly went through things that I was searching through. He was just standing up tapping his feet slowly, over and over again.
I got up, he sighed and began moving towards me to follow me. But I stopped him very quickly. He looked at me a bit confused. I didn't know what I was stopping him for myself. What was I doing? I shook my head. For a few moments I just sat there, having no clue what was going on in my mind.
Then I saw something on the ground, it wasn't footprints. It was a trail of blood, quite unusual for someone to be doing in my community. Obviously someone had moved something recently, dragging it across the ground. There was so much blood, I moved towards in and then sniffed it.
It was fresh blood, new blood... But it was still the blood of the dead, it had just died recently. Something was not right, I just could not tell what it was quite yet. The guy moved in front of me to try and take the lead but I stopped him.
"What are you doing? Let's just get this over with, the place is just over there." The guy said to me. I looked at him dead in his eyes for a few moments, but then I shook my head at him. He sighed for a few moments but then he nodded to me, he trusted me.
It wasn't the first choice that I would have liked to take on a small mission with me like this one. But the guy I usually liked to take, Tim, was on another mission. Some lucky bastard had taken him from me, I knew I shouldn't have stayed another day to wait for Ben.
It was quite dumb of me, I knew that one of these days, Ben would start the final part of his training. I guess it must have just started recently, he would have been back by now. Instead I was faced with Aaron. He was a cool dude, he just had no patience.
Patience, that was something you would come to find you needed in this world. That was, if you wanted to make it at least. He sat there for a few moments, he was waiting for me to tell him what it was that I was waiting for, or what it was that we were going to do next.
"Something isn't right... This blood, you see it right? It has been dragged out of this store." I said to Aaron. He looked at me for a few more moments and then he looked over at the blood.
He went towards it and tried sniffing it like I did. He looked at it for a few more moments and then he looked back at me with a bit of a confused look on his face. I shook my head at him and then rolled my eyes. There was a lot that I needed to teach him still.
He was 16, I could not blame him. I knew he had wanted to go on this quest because he had a crush on me. I was a cute guy, but he was just a bit too young for me. Besides, if I wanted a guy, I would have gone after Tyler already.
He had told me he had a huge crush on me, on several occasions. He was a great guy. He was a great friend as well, and I would rather it stay that way. After Tony had been lost, I still was not ready to say that he was dead. He had not talked about his crush on me since then.
I knew that he still did, I could see the look on his face, every time that he looked at me. I didn't say anything about it, I was used to it at this point. I just wanted to be alone, I did not want to lose another person close to me ever again.
I almost wanted Ben to just have some easy safe job in the community, but I knew that it wasn't what he wanted. I knew that one of those days, he would have found a way out and would have wanted to try and make it himself.
I would rather him be trained to make it then for him to sneak out one day and have no idea how to make it, or have any idea where he was going. Christian was a good choice for him to be trained. Ben wasn't the biggest, nor the smartest kid out there. But he had a lot of heart, and he wouldn't give up.
I wouldn't have wanted him to be stuck inside the walls with having that be in his mind all of the time. I sighed and then realized what was going on around us, Aaron was staring at me with a great deal of confusion, he had said something to me, I'm not sure what it was.
"Are you okay Angela? I think you need to sit down and get some rest." Aaron said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, I tried my best not to get upset at him. I was fine, I was just tired of having so many thoughts in my head.
"Yes... I am good... There's nowhere to rest, lets go ahead and check out the neighborhood over there, not all of the houses have been looked at." I said to him. He looked at me for a few moments not really sure if what I had said to him was true. But eventually he nodded to me.
We kept on walking but then he stopped me real quick and pointed at something that was sitting on the ground. I looked at it, the path of blood that I had been talking about just a few moments ago, it lead up to something that was sitting against the wall.
"I knew something wasn't right here... Lets get back to the community and tell Shannon about it." I said to Aaron. He looked at the dead body with a bit of a scared look on his face. I could not blame him, he had probably not seen a fresh dead body like this before.
I looked back over at the dead body that was sitting on the floor in the room. I wasn't scared, I was just a bit sad, the poor guy, he had just had his newborn. The kid would now be growing up without a father. Kind of like Liam and Ben...
But then as I looked closer and the dead body I realizing what it was that had Aaron looking the way he did. There was something not right about the dead body. I moved a little bit closer, making sure I was as quiet as possible, I pointing at Aaron to stay still.
The dead body was new, it had not turned yet. But it was tied to the ground, which meant that someone was coming back to get the body some time soon. They could be in the store with us this very moment.
But that wasn't all that was not normal for the dead body. On the body I could see a cut the eye, for some reason there was a sick little smile on the guys face, it did not scare me, but I could see why it was freaking Aaron out so much.
Once again, I saw something else was up with the dead body, I moved just the slightest bit closer to see what it was. I then realized what it was, I felt sick. There was a cut, right on the left side of his chest, clearly the reason he had been killed.
That was not it though, I looked at the guys face, right above the scar on the guys eye. I could see the words slightly written out very poorly. "Humans" I looked at it a bit confused for a few moments. What could it be? I thought my hardest about it.
It was not the first time I had seen those words on a dead body. I tried opening my thoughts on where I must have seen it before. I then realized where it had been, the words. I had gone to see the other community after Tony had disappeared and the other community had been destroyed.
I remember, walking into one of the houses... I was beginning to remember it clearer and clearer every second.

"Lets go check in the meeting place... Maybe there is something in there." Christian said to me. I looked at him for a few moments. I couldn't stop thinking, Tony... We had just seen his carriage sitting at the front gates.
Something was not right, Shannon was trying to act like it was all okay. This was not what everyone thought, me and Christian both knew it. But I could tell that Christian did not want to be here, something was not right... I could not blame him.
"Tony... He's gone isn't he?" I said to Christian. He looked at me for a few moments, he looked as if he wanted to have hope. But I could see that glimmer of hope disappeared as he looked back at the carriage at the front gates.
It was not a normal carriage, Tony always took that carriage with him, with the same 2 horses always riding it for him. I could see the same cuts and scratches on it, the same that he always liked to show me. But there were new ones now this time.
"I fear you might be right... But we have to check and see if there are others that might still be alive in here somewhere." Christian said to me. It was not what I wanted to hear, but it was what I needed to hear. I needed to come back to reality, I still had family that needed me back home.
I nodded to him, then we walked into the meeting place. Right as I opened the door, something slammed onto me. I fell to the ground, whatever it was, it was quite heavy. Christian helped push it off of me and I looked down at it to see what it was.
I saw what it was right away, it was a dead woman. A very big one none the less, clearly it was not hear on accident. There were no bites, it had obviously not died from the dead. Something was not right here, I did not know why Shannon would just put it out of question that there could be others out there.
Evil ones none the less... I looked at the poor lady sadly. I pushed her over to see her face and see if I recognized her. When I saw her body turn I did not see a body that I recognized at all. But I did see a large cut on its eye, and right above it, it small letters, it said something.
"Humans... What does that mean?" Christian said looking at me a bit confused. I looked back at him for a few moments, I wasn't sure what to say to him. I looked back at the dead body a bit sadly.
"I don't know... But I don't like it..."

"Humans... That is not the first time I have seen that." I said to Aaron who was sitting behind me. He moved a bit closer to me and got on his knees beside me. He looked at the man and I could hear fear and sadness in his voice when he talked back to me.
"That was a good man..." He said to me. I looked at him for a few moments, he was not looking back at me, instead he was too busy staring at the mans body that was sitting there. He then hopped back a bit disgusted and I looked at him a bit confused.
He pointed to what he was looking at. I turned over to it, I instantly saw what had shocked him so much. I then turned back a bit disgusted and felt like I was about to vomit.
What it was... It was the mans heart, and it was fresh... It had not died but just less than an hour ago surely right? I looked at Aaron who was staring at me looking for my advice. My mind was going blank, but looking back at the heart made it come back to reality.
"You... Go and tell Shannon about this, I will look around and see who might have done this." I said to Aaron. He looked at me for a few moments he then nodded to me. He lifted himself up from off of the ground and then turned around the walk out of the store.
I had a feeling, well not a feeling... I knew that this was going to be more than one person. If they took down the other community... They could be looking for ours next.
Suddenly I heard something smash on the ground and I turned around. Luckily it was just Aaron, he had slipped and fell on an empty can of beans. I sighed and then pulled myself up. But Aaron had his eyes on something completely different, and he looked afraid.
I heard someone yell from the other side of the store, and now I knew why Aaron was so afraid. The voice sounded nothing but pure evil.
"What was that?!"