Chapter XXX

XXX

XXX. All Secrets Laid Bare

In one of his hands, Robert clutched a small pendant, blissfully humming to himself.

He was quite proud. He had completely forgotten about the necklace he had made but now that he had it, he could talk to Liv, perhaps gain her forgiveness through compliments and gifts.

It was a long shot but it was worth a try.

Besides, the necklace was beautiful. It was of a stag with eyes of topaz entwined with a lion with eyes of ruby, it glinted in the sunlight when moved.

In a way, it was the kingdom, held together by a Baratheon and a Lannister.

It was him and it was her.

When he saw her, he would tell her that he would no longer leave her out. If they would lead, they would lead together. He would aid the kingdom as she had and she would attend small council meetings with him to hear her opinion.

As he headed towards Livia's private chambers, he came across a knight slightly out of breath.

"Your Grace!" Ser Jaime called out, bowing.

"Ser Jaime." Robert acknowledged him. "Excuse me but I am on my way to see Livia. Whatever you need, it must be addressed later."

Robert moved to leave but Jaime blocked him his way with a knowing look in his eyes. "I'm afraid she is not there."

"Where is she then?" Robert asked, slightly irritated that he was being delayed.

"Out and about, you know. Always doing something important." Jaime smirked, knowing what he was doing in annoying the king.

"Are you daft?" Robert grumbled, his tone demanding. "Just tell me where she is. Now."

"She's in the streets of King's Landing. She wishes to speak with you in your chambers when she returns." Jaime finally answered.

Robert's eyes lit up and he was suddenly filled with hope. She wishes to speak with him. They could finally get over this whole misunderstanding.

Robert turned around, heading to his chambers instead when he was stopped by Jaime once more. "What is it? Why do you keep getting in my way?"

Jaime approached Robert with a warning look. "My sister cares for you deeply, and she claims you're different from the last king we had, that you are a good man. Because of that, I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. But if you hurt her in any way at all, I will kill you."

"I'm sure you will. Believe it or not, I care for her as well." Robert answered, clasping Jaime's shoulder with the hand not holding the necklace, surprising the knight. "I never had the chance to thank you."

"Thank me for what?" Jaime sputtered.

"For saving her life. She told me everything. I have you to thank for making sure she's alive to be with me." Robert said to the young knight, his good brother, sincerely.