The Lake House

"So Cyra, how's the new job treating you?" they'd made their way to the highway and she was doing her best not to look in Lawson's direction.

"It was fine, I'm just tired." She felt as if she were hiding behind her giant sunglasses and was thankful that she had them.

"Was it a long week? Is my old man riding you hard?" Cyra nearly choked at the words, feeling her cheeks turn pink, but when she turned towards her boyfriend she saw that his eyes were fixed firmly on the road.

"Not too hard," she said, managing to laugh. "No, he's a good boss. I'm learning a lot. What about you, Logan? I haven't seen you in an entire week. I think that's the longest we've gone since we were toddlers. What have you gotten into this week?" Her voice dipped significantly when she said the word into, but he didn't seem to notice it.

"Oh not much. I've mostly been messing around on my dad's boat and playing video games. Rian's hung around and his girlfriend Jane with her best friend Ana, who follows Jane around everywhere has been around too.

He probably hoped, Cyra was quite certain, that by identifying Ana as Jane's best friend, Cyra wouldn't be able to pick her out of their class of several hundred students. But Cyra knew exactly who he was talking about. The leggy, busty girl with a face like a model had moved to the US from Sweden the previous year and her hair was the exact same shade as Cyra's, although she was quite certain that it was a bit longer.

She briefly wondered why he had deemed Ana fuckable, since surely that broke his mother's rule, while he had always been entirely hands off with her. Shaking her head she pushed the thought away. No. Lawson had taken up enough space in her head. He was only her ride tonight. Nothing else.

"Do you want to swing by your place to change?" he asked, glancing down at what she was wearing and raising his eyebrows.

"No. I'm fine in this." she replied, crossing her legs away from him and closing her eyes. "But I think I'll take a nap while you drive since the traffic is so bad. Wake me up when we get there, Babe." Her stomach turned a bit when she added the last word, but she'd always called him Babe, and she thought that if she didn't say it at some point he might begin to suspect that something was up.

And then, closing her eyes, she surprised herself by actually taking the nap that she had mentioned to him a few minutes earlier, lulled to sleep by the sound of the wind, and the tires on the road.

Mrs. Morgan's mouth had actually dropped open when she saw Cyra walk onto the back deck, with it's ridiculously long table shaded by a great canvas canopy. The older woman was wearing a lovely navy blue dress that hugged her stil perfect figure, her bleached blonde hair caught up in a bun.

"Guess what Logan?" the older woman said, after she had managed to shut her mouth, tearing her eyes from Cyra and looking back at her son.

"What is it, Mom?" he asked, sounding bored as he sat down at the table, which was already loaded with far more appetizers than three or four or even ten people could be expected to eat.

"You father just called, and he's coming home for dinner tonight. What is that, the first time in a month?" Lawson laughed and shook his head, his eyes glued to his phone.

"Did someone die?" he was texting and Cyra shifted uncomfortably in her seat, wondering if it had been a mistake to come.

"I'm sure he has some ulterior motive for stopping by. He never comes home without a reason." Cyra bit her lip hard at these words, feeling more and more panicked by the moment.

"Oh, hey and look at this." Lawson's face lit up as he stared down at the screen of his phone. "Rian just texted me and he and Jane want to stop by for dinner tonight."