002 ─── diadems .

mortal
002 ─── diadems .

" doomed from the beginning "

rowan's view

          ℑt was foolish of me to believe that the games would ever truly end. Admittedly, there were victors whose games were unremarkable, and they faded into the shadows as time passed. But the special allowances demanded by mine and Cato's survival meant we would never be able to escape.

The last question posed by Caesar weighed on my mind as Cato and I exited the stage, hand in hand. I was well aware of the narrative created by those who cheered behind us; as a couple, we would be expected to live in the same location, maybe even in the same house. Our relationship would be public knowledge, and every progressing stage would be watched by millions.

Being anywhere other than District 12 wasn't possible for me, but I couldn't imagine Cato moving there with me. My home, though close to my heart, was admittedly impoverished and unseasonable. Living in the Seam had been a challenge, and while the Victor's Village would provide a more stable lifestyle, acclimating to the environment would be difficult for Cato.

The alternative was a grim prospect. Landlocked and mountainous, District 2 produced the bulk of gems and jewels worn by Capitolians. The people there had a reputation for severity, and academies for prospective tributes were littered everywhere. I could imagine myself fading into an ivory wife with a stern smile, trapped in a life without freedom.

Another possibility was housing within the center of Panem itself. An offer wouldn't surprise me, considering our circumstances, but then, I knew neither of us wanted that.

My response to Caesar had been given under pressure, but the undeniable truth was that we didn't have time to decide. A choice would be forced upon us if we failed to make one quickly, so from the moment Cato and I stepped off stage, I wanted to talk to him alone.

The cameras and crowd were left behind, and suddenly we were confronted by a slew of familiar faces. Effie swarmed around us, exclaiming her praise. It occured to me that Cato didn't even know her, though when I saw his alarmed expression, I found it difficult not to laugh.

"You were just wonderful! And to think, it would all turn out so well! It's just so fabulous!"

"Cato, this is my escort, Effie Trinket," I said delicately, knowing the initial reaction to Effie's energy.

He glanced at me from the corner of his eye, his apparent fear making me snort. I slapped a hand over my mouth, having hated the noise I tended to make when amused since I was a little girl, but at the very least, Cato seemed to be amused by it.

When my gaze shifted to figures standing off to the side, the smile slipped from my face, a chill making its way up my arms. I recognized the man as a victor from 2, Roy Viceoren, Cato's main mentor. The Career districts typically sent more than one victor to mentor the tributes, but the most recent victory belonged to this man.