004 ─── shame .

mortal
004 ─── shame .

mortal 004  ───  shame

" be honest with me "

rowan's view

            𝔓ain can come in different forms. The stinging of a fresh cut could never compare to the harsh ache of guilt. Before, it had all seemed the same to me. Survival was most important, but everything had changed. I would give my life to never feel this pain again.

Stones had attached themselves to my ankles, dragging me down as I tried to walk. Gale had wrapped his arm around me, but his support could only do so much.

I grabbed at his shoulder, trying to hold myself upright. Gale's eyebrows were furrowed with the effort of showing no strain, but I knew I was a burden.

"Where are we going?" I whispered. My home was fading in the distance, Gale taking us past Victor's Village.

My thoughts were clouded, out of reach. There was something to expect, I simply couldn't remember what. An anxiety sat at the tip of my tongue, reaching back until my stomach churned with nausea. The distrustful eyes of my people were burned on the back of my eyes.

My actions faltered for the briefest of seconds, but it was enough for Gale to notice, and pick me off of the ground as if I weighed no more than a single piece of coal. It had been a long time since I had seen him so determined, so sure of himself. It had been a long time since I felt that way.

"You're going to be fine. Everything's going to be okay."

I didn't believe him. Once, those words could soothe any fear. Now, they felt like a hollow promise that was never kept.

My eyes cracked open when I heard familiar sounds permeate the cold air, the song of a bird, and the rushing of the quarry. My head rolled to the side, away from the sanctuary of Gale's warm sweater and towards the path he had taken us on.

The electric gate barring us from the forest was just in the distance, our hilltop hidden behind the maze of trees on the horizon. After every hunt, we would sit there and wish for change.

"No," I muttered. Gale either didn't hear me, or ignored me. "Gale, no."

The vertigo returned, as the dense trees started to surround me, and I could choke on the scent of pine and blood. A desperate panic took hold of me, adrenaline surging as I began to scream.

"NO!" Gale struggled to keep a hold on me when I began to kick at him, wrenching myself away from the gate. "No, no, no-"

My body crashed into the ground, knocking the air out of my lungs. I choked for air, but still managed to dig my nails into the ground, pulling myself away from him. His shadow was large above me, and the scar along my torso began to burn with the memory.