7~Forgive others, even if they flirt with your guy

"What's going on between you and Ty?" Rachel asked the next morning. She'd kept her voice low so the other wouldn't hear.

They were hiking through the woods looking for water, following Ty and Caleb. Missy was in front with the guys, and Josh had stayed behind on the beach with Tanner and Parker in case a rescue boat came. Also, because Tanner wasn't feeling too good. Annie hoped he'd get better when he got some water in him.

"Nothing." It was the truth. "He saved my life. I'm grateful, and I like him." She felt her smile widen. "I really like him."

Rachel pushed a rope of hair behind her ear. "He likes you too."

Dani overheard and joined the conversation. "He watches you. Not in a creepy-pervy way. Like something you'd read in a romance novel."

"Read a bunch of romance novels, do you Dani?" Rachel's tone had bite. "The ones where two guys fight over a girl. Said girl savors the attention, stringing both along."

"What's your problem?" Dani shot back.

Spinning around Rachel faced her. "You flirting with Josh while you're still dating Caleb. That is my problem."

"Ohhh," she said, drawing out the word. A carefree smile played on her lips, but her eyes flashed with hurt. "Here I was thinking we were becoming friends. Guess not. You're jealous."

"Yes," Rachel admitted, not one to hide her feelings. "Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out." She folded her arms across her stomach defensively.

"Caleb and I aren't dating." Some of the edge left Dani's voice. She tossed Rachel a sad smile. "He's got a thing for Annie."

Annie's stomach sank at the look on Rachel's face. As if realizing their pain, Dani's expression turned troubled. "I'm sorry," Dani whispered.

For several heartbeats, Rachel was silent, stunned. Finally, she spoke and both girls saw how much the truth hurt her. "It's alright. Caleb can do whatever he wants. It's not like he even knows I'm alive."

"You ladies all right back there?" Caleb called over his broad shoulder. Ty glanced back and smiled at Annie.

"All good!" Rachel returned, pretending she was fine.

Annie's heart broke for her. "Rachel, I don't think—"

"Don't," Rachel cut her off. "It's not your fault. I'm not upset with you." Rachel smiled at Annie, her expression sad but sincere. "Besides, we have more important things to worry about than guys."

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have said anything." Regret burned in Dani's eyes. "I was mad and I reacted."

"I shouldn't have gone off on you." Rachel threw an apologetic smile Dani's way. "I'm blaming it on the lack of water and food."

"Totally understandable," Dani agreed, more than willing to strike peace. She frowned at Missy, who was standing between the guys. Missy slid one arm around Ty and the other around Caleb. Letting out a flirty laugh at something they said, Missy playfully hit each of their biceps. Her hand seemed to linger on their muscles.

Seeing the way she touched Ty, jealousy rolled through Annie. She forced it down, knowing it was wrong. She had no claim on Ty, and even if she did Annie wasn't going to stir drama.

Annie tried to think of something good about Missy. "She seems friendly." It was the truth. Missy was nice and made an effort to get along with everyone.

"Hmmph." Rachel sighed.

Neither Rachel nor Dani seemed to share her opinion of Missy.

"Some serial killers seemed nice too."