Chapter 19

Reaping day

Clove's POV:

I stood in front of my mirror and looked at the black dress that I was wearing. It was a little tight on the top but the bottom was nice and loose. I was wearing black flats and my hair was curled into neat curls.

I've been dreaming about this day for so long that I'm relieved hat it's finally here. My mum stood behind me and smiled at my through the mirror.

"You look beautiful, Clove."

"Thanks, Mum." I heard a knock at the door and we both went down to see who it was. I ran down the stairs and opened the door to see my father.

"I just dropped by to say good luck." I nodded but I didn't change my expression.

"Thanks." I said before closing the door. Mum and I both sat down at the table and started eating the scrambled eggs that she had prepared. It was delicious and different compared to what we usually eat.

There was another knock at the door and I got up to answer. This time, I saw Joan standing in the doorway in a baby blue dress. "It's time." I smiled and headed back inside to say goodbye.

I headed out of the house with Joan and we soon arrived. We both joined the line of teenagers and I spotted a tall blonde boy with spiked hair a few places in front of us. He was in a formal white shirt with black pants and black dress shoes. His hands were buried in his pockets as he talked to the boy in front of him.

He turned his head around slowly and our eyes locked for a moment before I turned the other way. "You okay?" Joan asked. I nodded in response and we kept moving forward.

After they pricked my finger, I joined the crowd of 16 year old girls. On the stage stood Brutus and Enobaria who were dressed in all black as if they were about to go to a funeral and a brightly clothed Capitol woman. She wore a bright blue dress with matching hair and shoes. Her dress was also covered in bright diamonds that blinded me.

Her lips were coated in a bark blue lipstick and she licked them slightly, smudging the makeup, before speaking. "Hello, hello, hello. We shall start the selection soon, but first we shall present a film straight from the Capitol." The Capitol woman said with a thick Capitol accent.

The boring film started playing but I quickly tuned it out and starting thinking. What is that lady's name? Tullula? I snapped out of my thoughts as I heard her awfully high pitched voice again.

"What a wonderful film." She said taking a deep breath. "Now, ladies first." She said walking over to the round bowl. She walked back to the microphone slowly but she finally arrived at the microphone. She slowly unfolded the piece of paper and cleared her throat.

"Wendy Diamond."

"I volunteer as tribute!" Two voices yelled. One was mine but the other was someone I recognised to be Fiona Daron. We both looked at each other for a second before we both bolted out of the crowd and towards the stage.

I reached the stage first since I was in the 16 year section and she was in the 17 year section, but she was still approaching the stage. I charged towards her and knocked her to the floor. She flipped us so that she was on top and was about to punch me in the face but I reached for the knife I had hid under my skirt and shoved it in her leg. She screamed in pain as blood started squirting on her dress and I took this opportunity to finish her off. I shoved her off of me and climbed on top of her before removing my knife and placing it at her neck.