1• A Night of Acquaintance

Aniruddh fixed his tucked-in shirt carefully as he walked to the principal's cabin, the white covered letter in his hand seemed almost too foreign to him. Never once had he ever applied for leave after he had joined this school as a teacher, but now he is applying for a week-long leave. His mother demanded him to apply for three weeks leave all together saying that he should be able to help his wife adjust to the new environment after marriage.

But who will tell his mother that applying to a three weeks vacation is just equal to submitting his resignation? And then, he and his new wife will fall to the streets begging for food, now that would be a whole together experience with a very new environment.

"May I come in, sir?" Aniruddh knocked on the cabin's door, mentally preparing for an argument filled conversation with the principal already.

"You may." Came out his clear authoritative voice.

"Oh, Aniruddh? How have you been doing? I keep getting good feedback about your classes, keep going, dear! You will definitely succeed in life!" The principal flashed out a toothy grin as he gave an unasked, unexpected and useless motivation to him.

"Thank you for the compliment, sir?" Okay, yeah he is confused. Was that a compliment or his usual style of praising anyone and everyone?

"I require a week's leave, so I have brought a leave letter-"

"Week! Why? Are you sick, beta?" His eyes shone with compassion as he inquired but all Aniruddh could feel was cringe.

"No sir, it's just ah-" He is stuttering again, even the simplest thought of him getting married was still a stranger to him then how will he ever get used to it? "There's an important family event which I have to attend."

"Family event?" The principal shifted in his chair to a more comfortable position and his eyebrows remain knotted together waiting for Aniruddh's explanation.

"It is an important occasion, so I can't miss it." Saying Aniruddh pushed the white letter forward on the smooth wooden table.

The principal slowly nodded his head at the pace of a turtle, shortly his head picked up pace as he noted saying, "Usually, a per cent of the teacher's salary would be deducted for such leaves in between the month. However, considering that this is your first official after you have joined our school, I will grant you leave."

He completed his long sentence with a small blink and an authoritative smile making Aniruddh thank him several times.

Aniruddh pushed the cabin down open and stepped outside to hurry back to his apartment. He has a train to catch around nine o'clock in the night, but unexpectedly he happened to crash into someone the second he stepped out of the cabin.

"I am so sorry-"

"Oh no! It's alright!" Saying the woman bent down to the floor, picking up the papers which slipped out of the file. Her long free hair was almost touching the ground as she delicately picked up the papers.

If she keeps doing that she won't be able to even do this before the school closes. Shaking his head he bent down and helped her pick up the papers.

"Aniruddh?" She shrieked in her high pitched voice dropping those few papers she has collected to the ground as she expectantly looked at him.

Okay, there is a familiarity in her voice which made Aniruddh look up at her and he had to prevent himself from running away. Why is life so cruel?

"Chandini?" He hesitatingly took her name on his lips and she gave out a wide grin pushing her straight long hair behind her ear.

Aniruddh has to control his hands from pulling his hair out of his scalp. Why God, just why?