3. The Ugly Argument

A/N: The city in which our male protagonist resides is fictional:- Kaila.

Bahu: Daughter-in-law.

••••

The bustle and chanting noises of the crowd echoed through the temple corridors as Avni and Aniruddh moved quickly with the pace of the crowd, for someone like Avni who had never believed in God this was a whole new experience. She was an atheist, who only believed in hard work and in herself, but talking at this point in life, she was not sure any more. 

Heavy incense sticks smell engulfed every devotee who walked in the line to  move closer to the inner shrine and to get a look of their God. By the time the rain has stopped, their parents have arrived at the temple grunting about the stupid traffic and soon after a little talk, all of them gathered up in the temple line. Either half of the time, their parents discussed Avni and Aniruddh's travel tonight to reach his house in Kaila, or they kept chanting prayers for the goddess and her blessings. 

After a long-short time, they were finally out of the temple, the heavy rain had eventually decided to cut them some slack as the sky cleared up. Avni's father stepped out to bring the car from the parking lot while Aniruddh would occasionally glance at her, as secretly as possible which obviously Avni could sense. 

"Radha! What a surprise?" An elderly woman shoved everyone in her way walking excitedly toward them, who was completely dressed up in sparkling ornaments and in the brightest of the brightest coloured saree and greeted her mother in law and she responded with the same enthusiasm. 

"Bela! Oh lord, how long has it been since we had met!" Radha exclaimed in a sad tone with a high pitched voice, attracting each and every soul around the temple towards them. 

Aniruddh who sat by the stairs of the temple patio rolled his eyes as he muttered under his breath, "Bullshit, you just met her at a kitty party three weeks ago." 

The eye roll and the grunts made Aniruddh seem so adorable that Avni burst into a fit of laughter as she looked at her husband, which immediately caught the attention of the ladies. 

Bela was a short petite woman in her fifties, with bright skin and a round moon-like red tilak on her forehead reminded Avni of the cruel mothers-in-law in the tele serials. 

"Oh Radha, who is this pretty lady here?" Bela turned in swift towards Avni as she deeply scrutinised her from toe to head which made Avni shift in her position due to the uncomfortable attention she was getting. 

"She is my bahu, Avni." Saying Radha gave Avni a motherly hug, and Bela gave a toothy smile flashing all of her white teeth. 

"Oh, " She snickered cheekily as she stepped closer to her and took Avni's face in her hands turning it from side to side smirking in the appraisal, "I must appreciate you Radha, for getting this beautiful girl for your son. Though she is a little too dark for our Aniruddh, her face has a glow." 

Avni internally rolled her eyes hearing that, seriously? She was used to this type of mentality people around her, and she always had the to tell off them, all her school life she remained insecure about her olive skin tone, however, later on, she herself fell in love with her unique skin tone. Of course, people who are blinded with particular stereotypes will never be able to see the beauty of uniqueness. 

Avni didn't care about what the old hag has just spoke but Aniruddh stood up hastily ready to jump forward to thwart her words. 

"Oh ho, look at her face! She is blushing red at the mention of her husband." Bela pinched her cheeks smiling meekly,