Part 13

"What are you doing here... it's 7AM... on a Saturday?" Tom stared at Edwin through sleepy eyes. He was exhausted, so much that he didn't even notice making to the door. He'd just stumbled along on auto, going through the motions still half asleep.

Edwin glared back at Tom with a frown.

"I was on my way home... thought I'd drop in." Edwin said with a shrug, walking past Tom and heading straight for the kitchen. Tom raised his brow, noticing for the first time that Edwin was dressed just like the night before. 6:56 AM...

"Spare me the sordid details." Tom said, realizing that Edwin was only just ending what had probably been a very enjoyable night. He shut the door and walked over to the counter.

Edwin chuckled. He knew what Tom was thinking. A man his age still acting like an irresponsible adolescent. He'd heard it enough times before but he couldn't help it. At age 28, Edwin was still nowhere near ready to settle down and still enjoyed the night life.

"That's funny considering that's what I came here for." Edwin said, making Tom frown.

"To share details with me? No, thank you." Tom said. The last thing he wanted was to hear more about Edwin's next great conquest when he was struggling with all types of conflicting emotions. Still, he watched as Edwin made himself at home, taking eggs out of the fridge and making himself breakfast.

"Hungry?" Edwin asked but Tom shook his head. "Actually, I came to get all the details from you."

"Jesus, you had to show up at this ungodly hour to ask me that?" Tom said, rolling his eyes.

"It was on my way." Edwin said with a shrug.

"It was a wasted trip. There's nothing to tell." Tom said, sitting down and running his good hand through his hair.

"Nothing to tell?" Edwin questioned. Tom sighed, profoundly, deeply. He thought about Vera for a moment, how he hadn't been able to stop himself from kissing her.

It felt so good. Her arms wrapped around his neck was the most wonderful feeling he had in a long time. She made him feel safe and kissing her was a luxury, one of the few he had in life.

"That's what I thought." Edwin said smugly as he noted the way Tom seemed to drift off into his own thoughts.

"Nothing happened." Tom said, "nothing has happened and nothing will happen."

"Why?" Edwin asked. "She likes you... a lot. That much is obvious."

"I think she does." Tom said, looking sad.

"That's a good thing, right?" Edwin said, "Unless you don't feel the same way."

"It's more complicated than that." Tom said.

"I knew it." Edwin said angrily, slamming down the frying pan on the range much harder than necessary. Tom looked up at him, confused for a moment before he realized what Edwin was referring to.

"It's not what you think." Tom said.

"It's not?" Edwin asked, "Because it's one big coincidence."

"It's not anymore." Tom said.

"Anymore? Then it was? What are you doing, Tom? What the fuck are you doing? Do you realize... are you aware... I can't begin to explain all the things that are fucked up about this." Edwin said angrily.

"I know that! Damn it, I fucking know." Tom said, slamming a hand down on the counter top.

"Was it what I said? I was joking, Tom. This isn't cool." Edwin said. "Damn it, you're better than this. You're better than pulling this type of stunt."