chapter three

Emily

The party went on with smiles and laughs from everyone. It was needless to say that everyone was happy for Molly and Niall.

But before I knew it, the long and memorable day was coming to its end as people began leaving, with me back at the front door, handing everyone pink lolly bags that were taken gratefully.

I said goodbye to everyone as they left and it wasn't long before I was facing him again.

"Have a good night" I said, keeping my eyes on the lolly bag I was passing him, not trusting myself to look up to him. His thumb grazed the back of my hand as he took it, leaving a trail of goosebumps in its path.

"Sorry for before" He muttered before he walked away, pink lolly bag in hand.

I turned to the next person handing them their lolly bag before watching them walk away. I couldn't help but let my eyes flicker over to him as well, watching as he walked ahead. My eyes stayed trained on him until he began turning around. I quickly looked to the next person who happened to my family, causing my mood to slightly lift.

"Em?" Tommy said, making me look to him. "Is it ok for me to say goodbye to Harry?" He asked quietly. I gave him a small smile and a nod before watching him run off to catch up to him before he left.

"Us too?" Ally asked hopefully. I nodded my head and her Matt were quick to run off as well.

I watched as Tommy reached him, wrapping his arms around his hips from behind, nearly causing to him fall over. He lifted his hands up, glancing behind him to see who was clinging onto him. I watched as he turned around, bending down so Tommy could hold on to him from the front as Ally and Matt ran into him as well. His long arms wrapped around all three of them.

My eyes teared up as I thought about how close Ally, Matt and Tommy had gotten with him. And it pained me because I knew this would be the last time they see him for a long time.

"I really liked him, you know?" Dad sighed, as I pulled my eyes away from the group in the distance and to him and Mum instead. "He treated you well"

"Yep, he did" I responded, causing both Mum and Dad to give me a sympathetic smile. "You didn't say anything to him, did you?" I asked, handing Mum five lolly bags for everyone.

"No, but I think you should before it's too late" Dad said, taking three of the bags from Mum's hands for her. "We talked to Anne and Robin though, they're both lovely" Dad added with Mum agreeing.

"I'm sorry" I said, my voice slightly cracking.

Ally, Matt and Tommy weren't the only ones to have gotten close to Harry. I know Dad and Mum had both warmed up to him just as fast, especially Dad. And now hearing that they'd both met his family, made everything seem worse. I pictured what it would be like if we were still together, both our families getting to know one another and spending time with each other.

"Don't be sorry" Dad replied, quickly pulling me into his warm arms. 

Dad gave my shoulder a reassuring rub before pulling away. Ally, Matt and Tommy came walking back, stopping beside us. And even though the three of them were still young, I know they were smart enough to work out that they wouldn't be seeing him in a long time. I looked down at them, none of the three having their usual bright and happy smiles.

"Harry said to say hi to you for him" Tommy said to Mum and Dad, before looking up to me. "How come this had to happen?" He asked, causing Ally and Matt to look up to me as well.

"Some things just aren't meant to be" I said, equally as quiet.

"But can't you just kiss him or something and make up" Tommy asked. I shook my head.