It's okay to walk away

Holidays were never a huge thing in our household

Holidays were never a huge thing in our household. Mom thought they were unnecessary and are too much work with all the cooking and decorating, only to put them down again after a week. Kate invited me over to spend Christmas with the three of them but I declined knowing it would be a bore considering that Charles wasn't particularly fond of me after my last visit at their house, where I almost dropped their baby head first.

It was his fault for insisting that I hold the baby so I can keep in touch with my motherly instincts. We now both think I don't have it in me.

"Look, I'm just worried for you, okay?" Charles sighed once he saved the baby from potential death in my arms. There's a budding mustache and beard on his face and it surely did not look good on him. I stared at it, debating whether I should point it out.

"What for?"

"When you get old and can barely even walk, who's gonna take care of you, huh?"

"I'll die before I turn 50."

"How are you sure? What if you live longer than that?"

"I'll kill myself, don't worry." I smiled with a shrug, but Charles cried and told me to get out.

That was the last time I saw him-- three weeks ago.

I did not do anything for Christmas, no fairy lights nor Christmas tree even. New year too passed by quickly and before I knew it, it was already the middle of January. By then, I have not seen Sophie for almost a month. She and her brother went to visit her relatives and spent the holidays with them. For the most part, she called me twice a week and messaged me almost everyday until I lost my phone and didn't have any way to contact her.

 For the most part, she called me twice a week and messaged me almost everyday until I lost my phone and didn't have any way to contact her

My nap was interrupted by the obnoxious ringing of the doorbell. The time showed a quarter before five. I have not invited anyone over seeing as I don't have friends, and Charles did not notify me.

Without making any sound, I reached the living room, peeked slightly through the window. The blonde whom I have not seen in a while stood in front of the door, tapping her foot on the floor repeatedly. She wore a nude knit sweater with a patterned white scarf hung loosely around her neck.