ten

"I knew he was hot!" Arlen said once I had told him everything that had happened. And here we are, two days later and he's still saying the same thing. He had taken a brief break from work and had shown up at my house with Chinese food and fortune cookies.

"I still can't believe you haven't gone on a date with him yet."

I didn't want to tell Arlen, I was having dinner with Nate today. I just didn't want to jinx it because I'd be putting it out there into the universe. I was already nervous enough as it was but also excited. I couldn't wait to meet him again. To see his face again.

"Let it go, Arlen. We're still discussing dinner plans." I said, as I opened my box of food. Arlen had gotten me orange chicken and fried rice from our favourite place. I wondered where Nate was going to take me today. He had only told me to dress up. So I'm guessing somewhere fancy fancy.

"You do know you're living a fairytale right? Like the chances of you meeting at the same breakfast place? Recognising your voices and names? Disney would make a shit ton of money with this." Arlen said as he ate his food.

"Arlen what have I said about chewing and talking?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him. It used to be one of his bad habits and he stopped, however, it surfaces when he gets too excited about something.

"To always do it?"

"I honestly don't know what Key sees in you." I teased, taking a spoonful of food.

"He's blinded by love." Arlen said with a knowing smile. I shake my head at my friend as we continued eating, Never Have I Ever, playing on the tv screen. Arlen still hadn't seen it yet. Arlen stayed over for a while, talking and laughing, sharing some of his business ideas with me. He was thinking of reaching out to smaller brands and showing them off on his website and also selling their items. Stuff like that.

By four-thirty, he bid me goodbye and was out of the house, saying something about surprising Key at work. By Five, Jaden was back home, looking just as neat as when he left home that morning, not a hair out of place.

"How was school, buddy?" I asked Jaden when he walked into the apartment.

"Soul sucking as usual." came his reply. Ah. I remember high school. It wasn't the best for me. I had been the smallest and I had also been that gay kid. So yeah, it wasn't great.

"What do you want for dinner?" I asked him, I could make it before I had to leave the house.

"Can we just get pizza? Chicken supreme with thin crusts and those tiny cinnamon rolls? I want thirty of that." Jaden said as he falls onto a couch, face pressed into the pillow. I shook my head at the boy and moved closer to him, sitting by his legs.

"Whatever you want." I said, patting his ankle. I took off his sneakers and socks and dropped them to the ground. "Hey Jay?"

"Yeah?"

"I've got dinner plans today, would it be alright staying here alone? I'll be home on time." I said. Jaden pulls his head away from the throw pillow, adjusting his body so he was sitting up with his legs crossed under him.

"Is it with prince charming?" Jaden asked, wiggling his brows at me. Honestly, how many nicknames does he have for Nate? It was getting out of hand.

"Yeah it is." I said, heat spreading to my cheeks. "So would it be okay?"

"Yeah, it's fine. Go and have fun with prince charming." Jaden said, grinning at me.

-

By seven I was dressed up in a white shirt tucked into black pants and black boots. My hair was styled off my face and I slipped on a watch, made sure to check my wallet was in my pocket. On my way out of the room, I grabbed the flora print blazer. Jaden was still in the sitting room when I walked out and he was tapping away at his phone.