Chapter 48 II Because you're human

Rose's POV

I pulled the jacket tighter around myself and buried lower part of my head in the scarf, but nothing helped. The cold seemed to come from inside of me. Freezing weather certainly didn't provide aid in my efforts of not turning to ice. Setting my foot out of the school bus for the first time in a week, I looked up. Thick fog surrounded the whole school. Small crystals of ice floating in the air frosted the skin of my face taking me into its freezing embrace.

I felt so sleepy.

Bounce by my side yanked me out of thought. I moved my gaze to the brunette standing next to me. I clenched my jaw and shook my head.

"C'mon Rosebear", Layla whined as we moved towards the school, "don't be upset, just be happy I had so much fun"

I looked at the school. It was similar to the old one but advanced. It looked like it leveled up. Same shape, but different content.

"It's not like I'll get married or even have a relationship", she continued. I sighed.

"Layla I'm not upset", I clarified, "just disappointed in the connection between your eyes and your brain"

"I see perfectly fine"

"But you don't really process the visual information you receive"

She scoffed. "I can guarantee you, I received it very skillfully"

I rolled my eyes trying to contain laughter. She grinned victoriously and bounced up and down.

"I'm not approving your dangerous behavior with unpredictable psycho", I retorted and she suddenly stopped moving and tilted her head.

"So you want me to be left dry and crispy", she stated seriously. I cringed and continued walking leaving her behind. "You know, when you open up something, especially when you're young, you need to keep using it or it will go bad"

I sighed. "That's not how it works"

"It does for me", she laughed as she caught up with me.

"Why can't you find someone normal", I begged.

"I'll find someone normal when I search for a baby daddy"

I shook my head. "Just promise me you'll be careful"

"Always", she said and winked at me.

I shivered as the cold breeze hit me letting the shaky breath escape my lips. Layla watched me with worry clearly printed on her face. She didn't say anything just pulled me into a side hug. We continued walking that way in comfortable silence.

Just as we were to enter the new classroom I stumbled forward due to the impact behind me. All I saw was back of Daniel's head as he merely walked on without apology. I frowned and gave Layla the look just as she opened her mouth to throw an insult at him. She closed her mouth and shrugged.

"I'm too freaking mature for that bitch anyway", she murmured flipping her hair and pulled me to our new seats. As I sat down on oddly comfortable chair, a see-through screen appeared in front of me. It startled me at first, but when I took a closer look at it, I saw small icons all around.

"Isn't this whopping great", Layla said chuckling and pressing random places on her screen. I didn't see anything happen. When she finally noticed my confusion, she stopped. "No one can see what you're doing on the screen and there is so many possibilities", she smirked viciously, "just explore"

"So we have no more books?"

"Nah, you'll get a watch and it has all you need", she said and I raised my eyebrow.