Clouds. 04

This chapter is dedicated to hsmtmtsxoxo !

+

Ricky and Nini, Fourth Grade

Nini and Ricky were in the mall with Lynne and Mama D.

Ricky and Nini walked hand in hand everywhere so that they wouldn't get lost. Nini got a weird feeling in her stomach when she felt Ricky's warm hands, clutching hers, as if never letting go.

They stopped by a music instrument store. Nini pointed to the display shelf and said 'Look Ricky, that's so pretty! I want that!' 'Lets go tell Mommy D' Ricky suggested, looking at her with a excited smile.

Nini and Ricky went up to Mama D who was talking to Lynne. Mama D said 'Well well, if it isn't my two peas in a pod..' and smiled. Ricky smiled back at her and says 'Nini likes thit thing, pwese (please) buy it for her?'

Nini and Ricky made puppy eyes at Mama D. Lynne just chuckled in the background, 'Dana, Let's go see what they want.' Nini and Ricky ran to the display window and Nini pointed to a beautiful light brown ukulele. Mama D initially refused but with all the pestering from Ricky and Nini, she finally gave in. Just as they entered the store, Dana got a call and said 'Sorry kids, this is important. I will be right back.' She excused herself and walked out, talking to the other person on the line in hushed tones. She sighed sadly and ended the call.

'Nini, we have to go, your aunt is in the hospital and we have to go and take care of her.' Nini sighed sadly. 'But the ukulele..' she muttered sadly under her breath. She hugged Ricky and went to visit her aunt, not entirely happy.

Ricky heard what she said. He looked up at his mom and said 'Mommy, Nini's gift for her birthdiy (birthday) is thit.' and he pointed at the ukulele. 'Pwese mommy, buy it for her.' Lynne smiled and agreed, knowing he wouldn't allow them to go back home without buying that ukulele for his best friend. They bought the same ukulele and got it gift wrapped, in a sunny yellow paper with small white flowers and a purple bow decorated the top.

Lynne handed the gift wrapped ukulele to Ricky who carried it around like it was a baby, wondering how Nini would react to the gift.

Nini's birthday
Nini woke up that morning, grinning excitedly, brushed her teeth in a hurry and skipped down the stairs and squealed excitedly, 'It's my birthday today!

I hope Ricky didnt forget. Of course, he wouldn't..he's my bestest friend, he won't right?  she thought to herself. Mama C and Mama D hugged her and wished her and told her to get dressed for the day. She came down wearing her birthday dress which was this.

She sat down to eat her favourite breakfast; pancakes with loads of maple syrup and strawberries, when the doorbell rang

She sat down to eat her favourite breakfast; pancakes with loads of maple syrup and strawberries, when the doorbell rang. Nini ran to the door and opened it. Ricky had his hands behind his back. He said 'Hippy birthdiy Nini!' and gave her a small peck on the cheek. Nini's cheeks blushed a bright red, her heart pounding so loud, she was pretty sure that Ricky could hear it. There was an awkward silence for a few seconds.

Stupid Ricky why did you have to kiss her? But it felt right. he thought to himself. That was bold, she thought to herself. I should probably give her the gift,Will she like my gift? he thought. Ricky's hands turned clammy at the thought. 'Close your eyes Neens.' 'Why Ricky?'
'Pwese?' 'Okay' she agreed and closed her eyes. Ricky slowly brought forward the gift he was holding behind him and held his hands with the ukulele in front of her. 'Open your eyes now' he said. She slowly opened her eyes and saw a purple gift wrapped present. 'Is this for me?'
'Yes, Nini, it's for you!' She reached out and took the gift and stared at it, wondering about its contents. She then carefully peeled off the gift wrap, to reveal the light brown ukulele. Nini had tears of joy in her eyes. 'Ricky! Its that... from that display..' 'Nini, now it's yours! Hippy birthdiy to my bestest friend in the whole wide world!' She wiped her tears in her left hand and gave Ricky the biggest hug she could ever give. 'Thank you Ricky!' His heart fluttered again, and those annoying butterflies in his stomach returned. He just gave her a gentle smile and said, 'inything for you, Nini.'

+
Nini spent her free time everyday trying to play the ukulele. She then wrote a song on clouds and today was the day she would show Ricky her song. She was beyond excited yet nervous at the same time. She sat on the porch steps with her ukulele waiting for Ricky. He opened the gate and walked to the porch steps.

'Nini?' 'Ricky, I want to show you something' 'Okie' Nini picked up the ukulele and strummed it and sang a cute little song on clouds. Ricky felt a warmth spread across his chest as she sang. She had such an amazing and mesmerizing voice. Her long brown hair was blowing in the wind as she sang. She looked at Ricky the whole time she sang the song.

Sure, she made some small errors, but the song was still special. He looked at her, like properly looked at her and realised that she was really pretty and different.. a good different.. and he hadn't really noticed that before. 'Ricky? Are you okay?' 'Huh?' 'I asked you whether you liked my song, Ricky' 'I like you-r song ..Your song is beutiful Nini.'

Nini gave him a warm smile 'I'm glad you liked it.' Ricky felt happy when he saw her smile. That feeling in his stomach came back again. That day, when he was walking back home, he realised 'I like Nini, like really like Nini a lot.'

+
Author speaks:
I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter as much as I did writing it.. if you liked this chapter,
See you in the next one!
Love.
~MJ♡
Word count : 1K words.